Default Can I Collect Back Child Support if I Did Not Legally Obtain Custody

My question involves child support in the State of: Kentucky

I obtained child custody when my daughter was 9 years old. I was divorced from her biological mother when she was seven. My daughter simply wanted t live with me ( and my current wife). My daughter came to spend the summer with me and I called her mother to inform she didn't want to return home so I was enrolling her in school in my city. Their was no big discussion or refusal from the mother so I simply enrolled her and had her school records transferred from her current school to the new one. Once again no hassle on the mothers behalf was received. As the years wore on contact with the mother was virtually none existent. The only time we saw her next was at my daughters high school graduation. By then I had moved my family from the city and state in which we were (kentucky) to Nahsville, Tennessee. Once again I enrolled her in school their, where she graduated. The biological mother never offered a cent in support, college tuition or the help pay for her wedding. I at the time honestly never wanted to talk to her (the mother) and did not ask for anything in support or assistance. The daughter is now 36 years old and having my first grandchild. As I have tought over the years I have began to wonder if I should be entitled to have compensation for the years of non-support. My actual goal was to be able to start a college fund for the grandchild, pay for the tuition bill I'm still paying on, etc. Without having went to court to have "legal" custody awarded...do I have an arguement for back child support?

Default Re: Can I Collect Back Child Support if I Did Not Legally Obtain Custody

Quote Quoting rtrodglen
    View Post
    My question involves child support in the State of: Kentucky

I obtained child custody when my daughter was 9 years old. I was divorced from her biological mother when she was seven. My daughter simply wanted t live with me ( and my current wife). My daughter came to spend the summer with me and I called her mother to inform she didn't want to return home so I was enrolling her in school in my city. Their was no big discussion or refusal from the mother so I simply enrolled her and had her school records transferred from her current school to the new one. Once again no hassle on the mothers behalf was received. As the years wore on contact with the mother was virtually none existent. The only time we saw her next was at my daughters high school graduation. By then I had moved my family from the city and state in which we were (kentucky) to Nahsville, Tennessee. Once again I enrolled her in school their, where she graduated. The biological mother never offered a cent in support, college tuition or the help pay for her wedding. I at the time honestly never wanted to talk to her (the mother) and did not ask for anything in support or assistance. The daughter is now 36 years old and having my first grandchild. As I have tought over the years I have began to wonder if I should be entitled to have compensation for the years of non-support. My actual goal was to be able to start a college fund for the grandchild, pay for the tuition bill I'm still paying on, etc. Without having went to court to have "legal" custody awarded...do I have an arguement for back child support?
    No, my friend. You missed that bus a heck of a long time ago.

1. Sponsored Links