Default Children's Father Wants to Sign Rights Away

My question involves paternity law for the State of: Ohio

My ex-husband has consistently bullied me for the last 2 years to allow him to sign over rights to our kids so that he doesn't have to pay child support. I researched it online the first time he asked and I told him that someone has to assume his rights (like a step father adoption) before a court would allow it. I expected that would be the end of the discussion.

Unfortunately, his angle ever since is to have one of my family members adopt our kids! I am almost tempted to do it just to get him to stop badgering me about it. He tells me that I should tell the kids he died! It is exhausting to listen to him completely disregard our kids like they are merely a possession he can sign away. So my questions:

- Is it possible for a member of my family to assume his rights as the father and he won't have to pay child support? I don't know if I'd truly agree to it, but would like to know if possible. (his arrears are mounting so it isn't as though I get child support now)

-Can I file some kind of complaint to take action against the verbal/mental abuse caused by the consistent pleas to abandon our kids? If so, how?

-We have a shared parenting plan that he hasn't followed one bit. Can I file for full custody simply because he doesn't take advantage of any of his 'parenting time'? If he doesn't utilize it and I have them full time, I want the court documents to reflect that. Does it really make a difference? (He hasn't seen them in over a year and that was a brief encounter)

-The shared parenting plan has a full list of Children's Rights; can I take legal action on behalf of my kids and their rights that he has violated? (ie Right to a relationship with both parents, etc)

Sorry for the long post! Any thoughts are appreciated!

Default Re: Children's Father Wants to Sign Rights Away

I researched it online the first time he asked and I told him that someone has to assume his rights (like a step father adoption) before a court would allow it. I expected that would be the end of the discussion.
    Whether he likes it or not, that IS the end of the discussion. The courts, no matter what tack he tries, will tell him NO.

The only way for him to get out of his child support obligations, short of a step-parent adoption scenario, is for him to drop dead in his tracks.

Can I file for full custody simply because he doesn't take advantage of any of his 'parenting time'?
    Of course you can. We cannot, however, predict the outcome for you.

1. Sponsored Links