Default Landlord Had an Office in Our House, How Do We Get Him to Pay Utilities

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Colorado

My boyfriend and I lived in a house last year where our landlord used the basement as an office. The basement also had a washer and dryer and a shower. Partway through he also installed a toilet. We were allowed to use the washer and dryer, so we went downstairs occasionally and frequently found the outside door open (even when it was snowing) and lights on. He has 2 small children and did laundry a lot.

He made a verbal agreement with us to pay for the electricity and water so he could use the old washer and old dryer. He never paid for that. We will be taking him to small claims court to get our deposit back, can we also sue for his portion of utilities during that time?

Default Re: Landlord Had an Office in Our House, How Do We Get Him to Pay Utilities

You sure can. You just need to prove that the landlord agreed to pay his portion of the utilities.

1. Sponsored Links