Unhappy Early Termination of Lease

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: IL

I rented an apartment, and 7 months into my year long lease had a job opportunity came up that I had to take. When I originally moved in I was told (by the property manager; whom I have on tape saying this) that if I would ever need to break the lease early they would just keep the security deposit. I told the landlord a month in advance that I would be leaving the premise.

That is when everything got out of hand. For the next month and a half I received threatening phone calls, my apartment was entered by someone (they left my television on when they left), among other suspicious things. All the while I was posting the apartment for rent to get some possible leads for them to rent to.

On the day my rent was due, I received a "Landlords 5 Day Notice" posted to my door. It is signed by the property manager, and the landlord himself. It states "Unless payment thereof is made on or before the expiration of five days after service of this notice your lease of said premises will be terminated."

I have now received a letter from a debt collector, saying I owe over 3000 to the landlord. Someone moved into my old apartment the next month. I have not received an itemized letter, or any other correspondence from my previous landlord. Is there anything that I can do to get this headache to stop?

I also left the apartment in very good condition (clean carpets/walls/everything).
    Thanks for your help

Default Re: Early Termination of Lease

Did your landlord proceed with an eviction action, or court action for unpaid rent, or not?

Default Re: Early Termination of Lease

No the landlord did not proceed with any eviction action, or any court action at all. He just had a letter sent stating I owed $3000, with no explanation or itemized list.

1. Sponsored Links