Unhappy Involved in a Car Accident Causing Minor Injuries to Other Party and Was at Fault

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: MN

My wife was involved in a car accident causing minor injuries to other party. She ran a red signal and hit another car. She was at fault. Her insurance has agreed to cover for both party's damage and injuries. There were two passengers in other car - 40 yr old man and his 6 yr old daughter. No visible injuires though, Ambulance came in and checked them. They weren't taken to hospital. My insurance adjuster tells that the other party has an attorney and he has to talk to their attorney regarding further process. Can someone please explain what does this mean? Are they going to file a suit or is it just to get more money? Please help.

Default Re: Involved in a Car Accident Causing Minor Injuries to Other Party and Was at Fault

I would just wait for your ins. adjuster to get back to you. It could be they are looking for more money. There's always a possibility of them filing a suit but generally this would be settled out of court. There seems to be only minor injuries.

Default Re: Involved in a Car Accident Causing Minor Injuries to Other Party and Was at Fault

Thanks for the reply. We will wait for the ins adjuster to get back to us.

You're welcome.

We have received an update from ins adjuster that car damage claim has been taken care of for other party and have to wait from other party's attorney on injury claims. And that we might get next update only after 6 months to 1 year. He has metioned that it will rarely turn into a lawsuit. Here are my quesions:

1. Any idea how long it normally takes for these cases to settle?
    2. I might be going out of US to Europe on a deputation in next 6 months or so. Will there be any issues if we weren't in US when other party comes back? I believe ins adjuster will take care of it. However in case they serve us and we aren't in US at that time, what will happen?

Tnx in advance.

Rogerthat,

I am in a similar situation from an accident in late Jan. of this year. We get updates from our insurance co. regularly. The last one still says my ins. co is waiting for the other parties' lawyer to submit their clients medical records & a demand amount from the lawyer. It's 6 months now-5 months since they retained the lawyer.
    You can keep in touch with your insurance co.while you are away- at least once a month, to have updates on your particular case #.

That is all i can suggest. It's what i would probably do.

Quote Quoting rogerthat
    View Post
    We have received an update from ins adjuster that car damage claim has been taken care of for other party and have to wait from other party's attorney on injury claims. And that we might get next update only after 6 months to 1 year. He has metioned that it will rarely turn into a lawsuit. Here are my quesions:

1. Any idea how long it normally takes for these cases to settle?
    Tnx in advance.
    It takes as long as it takes. Usually the attorney for the injured party will NOT issue a demand letter until all injuries are resolved or stable and future treatment costs are known. Also, it the statute of limitations is approaching and no settlement is likely they will file to preserve their rights.

They may settle earlier if they know the costs exceed your policy limits AND the injured party has underinsured motorist insurance. This is cheaper than a lawsuit.

Yah !
    This is absolutely right they want more money !

1. Sponsored Links