Default Bathroom Renovations

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: West Virginia

I live in WV. Our landlord has given notice that our only bathroom is being completely renovated next week and we will not have an operable bathroom for up to 4 days.

We have 4 children and 2 adults. This poses a number of issues aside from the inconvenience of not having a bathroom for 4 days but also keeping our young children away from any dangerous tools, having everyone in the house exposed to the dust and mold that will be stirred up during the process, my husband works night shifts and sleeps during the morning hours while they will be here working, I breast feed an infant and don't want men in and out of the house all day while I am feeding the baby.

Do we have the right to tell them they cannot come in and do the renovations? When I brought up my concern to the head of the maintenance department about not having a toilet he told me to get a bucket. Seriously??!!

Default Re: Bathroom Renovations

Why is the landlord renovating the bathroom while you're occupying the premises? Is this something you have requested? Is it necessary to repair a problem with the premises? Have they resolved your concerns about access to a functioning bathroom while renovations are proceeding?

There are more details and background info here: http://forum.freeadvice.com/landlord...on-476264.html

Read this guide (PDF). Especially the information on habitability. It's difficult to believe that your landlord has been renovating the bathrooms of occupied apartments without having come up with a way to accommodate tenants while their bathrooms aren't available. It's hard to believe that your landlord doesn't know that he has an obligation to provide a working bathroom (or equivalent) to tenants.

1. Sponsored Links