Default Best Way to Equally Divide Estate Assets

Hello Forum:

I am executor of my parents estate. We sold the house and now have to empty the contents in 30 days. The will states the personal belongings are to be divided equally between the children, and the Executor will make the final call on any disputed items.

We can draw lots. But we have a 4 bedroom house to break up. It will take forever and a day to go through the house. None of us live locally.

I'd be happy if we sold a majority of it at an estate sale so that we don't have to bicker over small things. I could use some ideas from others that were executors how they divided the assets.

Default Re: Best Way to Equally Divide Estate Assets

Would your siblings be happy if the contents of the home were sold? It's easy to divide cash.

You could always have them indicate if there are any items they want and have those items appraised, then adjust the shares of cash from an estate sale accordingly so that everybody gets an equal share. But if you do that be sure you're clear on who pays for shipping and insurance of any items they select (so the estate doesn't get stuck with the bill), and the deadline by which they're to be collected.

Default Re: Best Way to Equally Divide Estate Assets

Selling is a great idea. The appraisal suggestion is good; however we don't have time. The house closes at the end of the month. We have to have the things we want out of there next week because I've hired a company to conduct an estate sale. Everything is happening very quick with the house. People are fighting over the dumbest things, and I am so angry that things were not spelled out in the will.

1. Sponsored Links