Default Making a Car Accident Claim While Incarcerated

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: TX

My friend was in a car accident earlier this year, she had some pretty bad cuts, the car rolled several times. Her friend who was also in the car already received some money from the driver's insurance company, not sure how much. My question is, my friend is now in jail. Is it possible to claim her injuries with the driver's insurance company if she is in jail? Dallas County Jail to be specific. I am asking because we can't afford a private attorney, but want to find an attorney to claim the insurance money on contingency, and then represent her with the settlement money. Thank you for your help.

Default Re: Making a Car Accident Claim While Incarcerated

She can attempt to settle her claim while incarcerated. Insurance adjusters aren't stupid, and they'll have a sense of how her incarceration may affect her eagerness to settle, her ability to litigate, and (depending upon her record) her credibility.

Usually, when the insurance company offers you money beyond your doctor bills, etc. it comes with a statement that you release them of any and all future claims from that incident. Most people don't read this because of their eagerness to get the money, but have agreed to it by cashing the check.

I believe the goal was to use the money to hire a lawyer for the criminal case, not the personal injury case post-settlement.

1. Sponsored Links