Default Accident Due to Other Driver's Tire Blowing Out

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: CT

Last weekend i was traveling I-91 South in Enfield, CT. I was traveling in the middle lane, and a Ford Expedition was neck and neck on the side of me. All of a sudden in the corner of my eye I saw his vehicle swerving toward me with sparks flying out of his tire. He started to speed up (still swerving). I swerved out of the way in order for him not to hit me. His truck at that time lost control and clipped me, which caused my vehicle to lose control. I ended up hitting the jersey barrier head on.

I was taken to the hospital via ambulance. The impact was pretty hard, and i sustained burns on my neck (from the airbag), bruises on my chest (from the seat belt). I'm also very sore.

Although this person caused the accident, I was told by someone that he might not be at fault due to "mechanical failure". Is this true?

I'm hurt pretty bad. I've been out of work for a week now. What got me is that he didn't stop right away, but 1/4 mile down the highway.

Default Re: Accident Due to Other Driver's Tire Blowing Out

Quote Quoting Jorbidy
    View Post

Although this person caused the accident, I was told by someone that he might not be at fault due to "mechanical failure". Is this true?

I'm hurt pretty bad. I've been out of work for a week now. What got me is that he didn't stop right away, but 1/4 mile down the highway.
    I'm sure you have insurance, and reported this to your insurance company. Your insurance company would then work with the other insurance company and be able to tell you if "this other guy was LEGALLY at fault".

I was behind someone on the highway when one of his wheels fell off, and there is NO WAY he can slam on his brakes to as to NOT stop 1/4 miles down the highway as the car was out of control. In another case, some guy did attempted that, two lanes over from me, and his car did 3 to 4 360 degree spins from the left lane of a 5 lane highway from the left all the way to the right, and you should be thankful the other driver had the presence of mind to bring an out of control car to a gradual stop, and not kill anyone on the highway by immediately slamming on the brakes.

Agree. The accident needs to be reported to your ins. co. They will contact the other party's ins. co. & the cos. will assign/determine fault.

I have called my insurance company.

My thing is you don't speed up when you have an issue with your tire, which is what the other driver did.

It's been over a week, and my insurance company can not get in touch with the other driver's insurance company.

Quote Quoting Jorbidy
    View Post
    I have called my insurance company.

My thing is you don't speed up when you have an issue with your tire, which is what the other driver did.

It's been over a week, and my insurance company can not get in touch with the other driver's insurance company.
    It's difficult to speculate what a driver might do in such a case, and particularly if he panics.

I had an almost similar experience, the last time a few years ago when my engine started sputtering, and I was in the middle lane. There was some guy to my immediate right, so my objective was to speed up, get past him, and then pull over to the right lane.

In fact, speeding up was the right call in my particular situation, because it was hard for me to figure out what the traffic situation immediately behind this guy to my right was. But, because of the problem with my engine, I couldn't get in front of him, and as I feared, I had to go behind this guy, and with my luck, turned out there was another guy behind him tailgating. I finally barged in between these two cars, to get to the right. and had I failed to do that, my car would've coasted to a complete stop in the MIDDLE lane of a busy highway.

In fact, if my decision was to SLOW down initiially, not speed up, my car would've conked out right there in the middle lane. If I was in the place that guy having the blowout to your left, I would also conclude it's probably safer to try to get in front of you and pull to the right, rather that to chance an idiot tailgator in back of you, with maybe 10 other cars behind him.

Then, about 6 to 8 years ago, I was in the middle lane, some guy's wheels fell off in the left lane, just about to my left. He slowed down, and I slowed down even more hoping he'll pull in front of me to pull to the right shoulder, which appears he was trying to do. I couldn't speed up because the loose wheel was coasting down the highway in the middle lane, right in front of me. Had he speeded up, pulled over quickly in front of me, then right, it would have been over with. Instead, impatient drivers in the left and middle lands all went right, trying to speed up, to go past the jam up, resulting in a number of near accidents. He couldn't get to the right, he was going was too slow, so he finally conked out, and stopped on the left lane, causing a massive traffic tie-up that morning.

Quote Quoting Jorbidy
    View Post
    question: when did this occur? my time says 7/17 on your post, but that your join date was june 09 - and last week, I was heading from CT to NJ when i hite a tire that was randomly in the middle of my lane on the highway, with no ther choice pretty as to go over it centering it between my wheels to do as little damage as possible - but now my front bumper is hanging - i was just curious if it was the same place and am looking for evidence so that I can potentially make an insurance claim

Quote Quoting calico
    View Post
    question: when did this occur? my time says 7/17 on your post, but that your join date was june 09 - and last week, I was heading from CT to NJ when i hite a tire that was randomly in the middle of my lane on the highway, with no ther choice pretty as to go over it centering it between my wheels to do as little damage as possible - but now my front bumper is hanging - i was just curious if it was the same place and am looking for evidence so that I can potentially make an insurance claim
    well, you can rest assured that the tire you hit was not the same tire. Since the thread was started 7/17, that would require the tire to be in the middle of the road for 3 weeks, at least.

do you really think that is a realistic possibility?

1. Sponsored Links