Unhappy Traffic Bench Warrant

So I have been struggling financially really bad. I got a ticket and I told the judge that I would pay for traffic school. Something happened and I wasn't able to pay.

I now have a bench warrant and the fine is now up to $560 . What would happen if I went to court and told them I absolutely have no money. Which is the truth. I can barely make rent as it is... times are very rough.

This is in San Jose CA by the way. Any help will be appreciated

Default Re: Traffic Bench Warrant. Plz Answer Help Needed

Quote Quoting Cass
    View Post
    So I have been struggling financially really bad. I got a ticket and I told the judge that I would pay for traffic school. Something happened and I wasn't able to pay.

I now have a bench warrant and the fine is now up to $560 . What would happen if I went to court and told them I absolutely have no money. Which is the truth. I can barely make rent as it is... times are very rough.

This is in San Jose CA by the way. Any help will be appreciated
    A "bench warrant" for a traffic infraction? That is almost unheard of these days? What were you cited for and who told you there is an outstanding bench warrant?

I know failure to complete court ordered traffic school is actually a misdemeanor. ~~Although some people on this forum will argue that the court doesn't have time to pursue that, if my guess is right, they obviously do.~~ That in itself can result in the issuance of a warrant for your arrest....

Your failure to pay (FTP) the traffic school administrative fee to the court can and does result in the addition of civil assessments that can add up to a bit over $500 so with the traffic school fee, that comes close to $560?

In order to help figure things out, you need to post more information so we can figure out what the WHOLE story is.

If you just want a quick answer then you can go turn yourself in, if it is a misdemeanor warrant, then the judge will sentence you to a few days in jail and you'll walk out owing nothing... otherwise, come up with the $560, go before the judge, pay the fine off and go home!

Problem is I cant come up with the $560. I can barly make rent as it is. I really cant spend time in jail.

I dont know what other information to give. I got the ticket... went to court to have it lowered.... they lowered it with the cost of traffic school. I wasnt able to pay it in the time given.... boom bench warrant.

I dont know if they can lower the bench warrant for me... i really have no money for this.

And I cant spend time in jail.

By the way, here's the CVC I mentioned relating to failure to complete traffic school:

California Vehicle Code Section 42005(i) A person who willfully fails to comply with a court order to attend traffic violator school is guilty of a misdemeanor.

In answer to your most recent post, the Civil Assessment that was added to to the fact that you failed to pay the previously ordered fine is a statorury fine meaning judges will not normally reduce it unless you can present a justifiable reason for not paying... And typically, "I just couldn't pay it" is not sufficient.

As for your asking if they can reduce it again, you had a chance to pay the lower fine and you didn't, what makes you think you can convince the judge that if it is reduced AGAIN, that you will pay it?

Lastly, and if you can't go to jail, then don't put yourself in a situation where the cops might run your name for wants/warrants. Because if they do, you're going to jail whether you have the money or not.

Oh, and let me add, you might also want to check on the status of your driver's license. That might have been placed on hold (suspended) by the court due to none payment. get caught for driving on a suspended license, you pick up another misdemeanor as well as a bigger fine that what you have right now.

Good luck!

Wow... now i really don't know what to do....

I wonder how much time you have to spend in jail for $560. Or maybe community service is an option.....

I honestly would pay if I could.... but I can barely make rent now as it is.

1. Sponsored Links