Default Nevada Unemployment Line Always Busy

My last employer was in California, but when I called to file in CA the unemployment office said I would receive more money if I file in NV for a few months, then when that runs out file in CA. I have worked in both NV and CA for the past 18months, so she could be right. My problem...I can't get through to the South NV office, so I tried to North NV office and got a ring and questionnaire, so now I'm currently waiting to speak with someone. I hope they tell me I have to call the other office. Anyone know any backdoor numbers for the South NV office? It's busy 24hrs/day, it's crazy!

Also, I need advice if I'm eiligible for unemployment, I have typed up my story and copied and pasted it below. Please let me know what you think.

My dog, Sammy died on Wed. June 24th, I called Ana (one of the floor managers) at 12:00 noon on Thursday June 25th to tell her I was unable to make it in that weekend because of my family dog, as well as my father going into the hospital because of stress and anxiety. I left a message on her voicemail tell her the situation and why I was unable to make it. I then continually attempted to call the restaurant numbers I had available, but there was still no manager available. I left messages with the hosts to have a manager call me back and didn’t receive a call back. So, I had to drive to Vegas to help take care of things, with the cremation of the dog and my father’s health. I spoke with Michelle (Restaurant Manager) at 2:00 in the afternoon and told her I was unable to make it into work because of my dog passing. She said something like, “You are really putting us in a position here, Misty.” I said something like, “Michelle I’m sorry, but I have to be there for my family.” I then continued to call that weekend, but could not reach a manager. I spoke with Chris a server and host to see if he could find a manager and he couldn’t so I asked if he can call to see if someone can cover my Monday shift and I would be able to make it in for my Thursday shift. He never called me back. I continually tried to reach a manager, but there was not one available. I left numerous messages with the host desk for a manager to call me back and still noone called.

I then spoke with Ana on Thursday July 2nd at 11:53 am from Las Vegas to confirm I would be working that night. I told her that I have not received any calls from you them, and was concerned if I was fired or not because I received a direct deposited check in my bank and it wasn’t payday. She explained to me that they had my shift covered, and I was suspended for a week. She did not tell me I was fired. She explained that I would need to speak with Michelle next week to see if I would still be working there. When I went to speak with Michelle the next week she gave me a “employee separation” form that was marked with “job abandonment” as the reason for my resignation. I said “I didn’t abandon my job, I attempted to call many times.” I asked if this was considered a resignation or a layoff or firing, and she said resignation, and I again said but I’m not resigning you’re firing me. I want to work here, and she said that I didn’t have to sign it if I didn’t want to. She also put there I was eligible for rehire.

I did not abandon my job I continually tried to call them all weekend and let them know updates on what was going on. I could not help that this emergency situation had come about. As I said, I did not just leave my job without telling them what was going on, or where I was, I let them know exactly what was going on.

Default Re: Nevada Unemployment Line Always Busy

Unfortunately, we can't make the phone line any less busy. Lots of people are seeking unemployment benefits these days.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Unfortunately, we can't make the phone line any less busy. Lots of people are seeking unemployment benefits these days.
    Well...That's not really what I was asking. I just got off the phone with the unemployment claim rep who is responsible for denying or approving my claim and he said he would contact my employer. What should I do here...Basically he asked me the reason for calling into work, and I said "my dog died" and "my father went into the hospital." and then he asked me my orginal reason for calling in, and I told the truth, "my family dog died and I had to leave town." and then the next day my father went into the hospital. So he just said, "ok." It didn't sound promising...Should I speak with a supervisor? or try to speak with one?

Honestly, as much as I sympathize with the loss of a pet, it's just not an excuse the employer has to accept. The fact that your father went into the hospital, as good a reason as it is to miss work, is not a reason that the employer has to accept either, unless FMLA is involved (in which case, you would have to be certified as some type of caregiver). The representative you talked to may not, in fact, be the one to make the decision. Normally, there is a hearing (may be by telephone) where both parties are present. There will be an preliminary determination, then either party can appeal if they disagree.

Quote Quoting PattyPA
    View Post
    Honestly, as much as I sympathize with the loss of a pet, it's just not an excuse the employer has to accept. The fact that your father went into the hospital, as good a reason as it is to miss work, is not a reason that the employer has to accept either, unless FMLA is involved (in which case, you would have to be certified as some type of caregiver). The representative you talked to may not, in fact, be the one to make the decision. Normally, there is a hearing (may be by telephone) where both parties are present. There will be an preliminary determination, then either party can appeal if they disagree.
    My concern is on the speraration papers my boss gave me the reason for separation is "job abandonment" which is 100% not true. I did not just up and leave my job, I called numerous times and let them know of my situation, and when I would be back to work, I have the phone records to prove it.

Also, I talked to a co-worker of mine who worked there as well, and she said they have been trying to fire people left and right...3 addtional people have already been terminated, for whatever reasons, but the true reason is due to lack of business. They are not "laying off" they are trying to find a reason to fire the workers.

"Job abandonment" and "no call no show" are not the same thing. It is possible to be considered to have abandoned your job even with phone calls. You were expected at work and you did not show up. Leaving messages on someone's voice mail that you would not be coming in to work is not the same thing as getting permission to be out.

1. Sponsored Links