Unhappy To Know What Rights Does My Son Father Have

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Louisiana

I had my son at the age of 15 his father was only 16 at the time. My name is the only name on my sons birth ceritficate. My son's father provided no support or any help for three years. After he graduated high school he went into the marines and still provided no support for my son. I decided when I was 18 to place him on child support and a DNA test was done and it proved he was the father of my child. He makes his payments every month but he only makes time to see my son once a year maybe and he calls every couple of months. He is still in the marines and he makes no time on his leave to see my son. He also does not follow the court order for support he makes the payments but has yet to put my son on his insurance as it was order. I recently married someone else who is in the army and he has been raising my son as his own for three years. He has place my son on his insurance and provides for my son. My husband just got orders to go to Germany for two years and my son's father is trying to have his name placed on the birth
    ceritficate and take me to court for custody. My question is can he do this if he
    has not be here for the past five almost six year? I have offered to set up
    visitation but he doesn't want that

Question Re: To Know What Rights Does My Son Father Have

Can you please make clear - how old is the child?
    And are you saying the dad has filed asking for 100% physical custody in order to keep the child from going with you on your husband's deployment?

Default Re: To Know What Rights Does My Son Father Have

The child is 5 years old he will be 6 next month and his father is asking for full custody

Unless you are in prison, dying of an incureable disease or have some other DRASTIC dynamic that would make you completely unable or inappropriate to be raising the child, no court is going to yank a 6 year old away from the only parent the child has ever known to put him in the custody of a person who is more or less a total stranger in a foreign country. Nope. Ain't gonna happen.

Quote Quoting aardvarc
    View Post
    Unless you are in prison, dying of an incureable disease or have some other DRASTIC dynamic that would make you completely unable or inappropriate to be raising the child, no court is going to yank a 6 year old away from the only parent the child has ever known to put him in the custody of a person who is more or less a total stranger in a foreign country. Nope. Ain't gonna happen.
    Re: To Know What Rights Does My Son Father Have

Well I am none of the above(lol) and my sons father is not the one in another country. Me and my son will be moving with my husband to his new duty station in Germany. As of right now my sons father has dropped the whole custody issue but I still don't trust him. I pull up some information about adding his name to the birth certificate and he needs information that he no longer has and I have to be there with him. I am still not sure if I need to go ahead look into getting full custody and some type of court order in place before my family leaves for Germany

1. Sponsored Links