Exclamation Requesting Info on Emancipation (Not a Pregnant Teenager)

My question involves emancipation laws for the State of: Kansas

Tomorrow my Fiance, her father, and I are going to the courthouse to file for emancipation.

Just to get all of this out of the way, and because I already saw at LEAST 3 on this board, WE ARE NOT PREGNANT TEENAGERS, we are planning this as carefully and responsibly as we can, are on birth control, and our ideal plan before getting married is to move in together, and make absolutely certain that we CAN hold down bills, support ourselves comfortably, and most importantly get along in constant contact and close quarters.

We are 15 and 16, and because of her mothers seemingly recent decline in mental health, and emotional abuse, rather than wait until next year as we had originally agreed to, she is going to file for emancipation tomorrow, along with her father and I.

I need to know what they are going to throw at us, what's going to happen, and overall what to expect. She IS employed, healthy and level headed, good student, no records of any kind, and we're both incredibly nervous..

Any help you can provide us with would be very much appreciated.

Default Re: Requesting Info on Emancipation (Not a Pregnant Teenager)

Emancipation is all about SELF support - not support in tandem (two of you). Unless you can show a court that you've got a track record of supporting yourself AND that if the other person suddenly dropped off the face of the earth that you'd continue to be able to do so, emancipation won't happen (and that includes showing that you've got health insurance). In other words, if you aren't 100% SURE that you can hold down the bills, and SHOW the court that you've already successfully done so, don't count on emancipation. And, even on birth control, courts don't emancipate minors to live with each other. Oh, and 15 doesn't qualify anyway - gotta be 16 in Kansas.

Quote Quoting aardvarc
    View Post
    Emancipation is all about SELF support - not support in tandem (two of you). Unless you can show a court that you've got a track record of supporting yourself AND that if the other person suddenly dropped off the face of the earth that you'd continue to be able to do so, emancipation won't happen (and that includes showing that you've got health insurance). In other words, if you aren't 100% SURE that you can hold down the bills, and SHOW the court that you've already successfully done so, don't count on emancipation. And, even on birth control, courts don't emancipate minors to live with each other. Oh, and 15 doesn't qualify anyway - gotta be 16 in Kansas.
    Let me clarify.

She's not trying for emancipation just so she can live with me, she needs out.

Yes my family will take her in, but I'm only there to support her.

Also, In the last 3 years I have been helping her entire family in almost every way possible, in emotional support, repairing things for them, helping them pay bills, 'loaning' her mother money when she keeps messing up so her and her sister stay fed and don't get evicted, and basically buying another car for them when their old one died (I gave her mother most of the money).

She had been 'volunteering' (working but they couldn't pay her in money because of her age) at a salvation army being payed in store credits which she used to buy clothing and necessities for her family.

According to her father, he asked his lawyer and apparently they just need a parent signature and judges approval.. But information I've seen here contradicts that.. I'm hoping her father is right.

Her father is right- and so is this board.

The only way to gain the judge's permission is to show that:

1: The minor must be 16. Your girlfriend is not.
    2: The minor must be self supporting. Your girlfriend is not. Neither are you.
    3: The emancipation must be in the minor's best interest. Being emancipated so you can play house is not in your best interest. Just because you are tired of parental rules is not.
    4: Did I mention that your girlfriend is not yet 16, and is not eligible?

You have not shown one valid fact as to why you or your girlfriend should be emancipated.

Quote Quoting divemedic
    View Post
    Her father is right- and so is this board.

The only way to gain the judge's permission is to show that:

1: The minor must be 16. Your girlfriend is not.
    2: The minor must be self supporting. Your girlfriend is not. Neither are you.
    3: The emancipation must be in the minor's best interest. Being emancipated so you can play house is not in your best interest. Just because you are tired of parental rules is not.
    4: Did I mention that your girlfriend is not yet 16, and is not eligible?

You have not shown one valid fact as to why you or your girlfriend should be emancipated.

Ok, she has to be 16, but this was NOT so that we could play house, or because she doesn't like the damn rules. this is because she has already been through foster care because of her mothers issues, her mother is relapsing and becoming incredibly abusive, and foster care AGAIN simply is NOT an option. OH, and as far as proof, WE have been paying the bills in that household, not her mother, not her father.

Please take your generalizations away from me, and good life to you.

1 Abuse is not a reason for emancipation. Call CPS if you are being abused.

2 You said yourself that:

we are planning this as carefully and responsibly as we can, are on birth control, and our ideal plan before getting married is to move in together, and make absolutely certain that we CAN hold down bills, support ourselves comfortably, and most importantly get along in constant contact and close quarters.
    which certainly looks to me like you are doing this in order to live together.

3 Who pays rent? Who paid for your last 21 meals? (that includes the cereal you ate out of Mom's cupboard) Who pays the electric bill? If you both are each independently supporting your parents, then you don't need to live together, now do you?

Emancipation is not there so you can have sex with your underaged girlfriend. You are CHILDREN, and no amount of foot stamping is going to prove your maturity.

Quote Quoting divemedic
    View Post
    1 Abuse is not a reason for emancipation. Call CPS if you are being abused.

2 You said yourself that:

which certainly looks to me like you are doing this in order to live together.

3 Who pays rent? Who paid for your last 21 meals? (that includes the cereal you ate out of Mom's cupboard) Who pays the electric bill? If you both are each independently supporting your parents, then you don't need to live together, now do you?

Emancipation is not there so you can have sex with your underaged girlfriend. You are CHILDREN, and no amount of foot stamping is going to prove your maturity.
    We did. For HER mother. I don't have a mother thank you very much, she left me and my 3 year old autistic brother alone when I was only 6, after trying to kill my father so she could sell the house and move to Oklahoma with a man she had met over the internet just 3 days prior. Thanks for bringing her into this though.

I can see no amount of elaboration is going to change your stubborn views. We aren't doing this so we can move in and have sex together, that would be ****ING stupid. We've both seen far more than we need to, and we want to start OUR lives together. Sex has nothing to do with this. If we want sex, we can just go somewhere alone and have it. I made that statement simply because seeing all the teenage pregnancy emancipation topics bothers me and probably others, so I wished to distinguish the difference between myself and them.

None of which changes the fact that your girlfriend is not a candidate for emancipation.

Her reasons are the LAST thing the judge will look at. If she doesn't meet the qualifications to be emancipated AND SHE DOESN'T, it doesn't matter a hoot in hell what her reasons are or are not, she WILL NOT be emancipated.

Are you getting it now?

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    None of which changes the fact that your girlfriend is not a candidate for emancipation.

Her reasons are the LAST thing the judge will look at. If she doesn't meet the qualifications to be emancipated AND SHE DOESN'T, it doesn't matter a hoot in hell what her reasons are or are not, she WILL NOT be emancipated.

Are you getting it now?
    If everyone would please calm down and read, I have already said

Ok, she has to be 16
    and accepted that. I simply held some doubts because of what her father had told me after speaking with his lawyer.

divemedic and yourself being rude however, is not helping at all.

There is no helping. Don't you understand? The answer is NO, neither of you meet the requirements for emancipation, because she is too young, because neither of you is self supporting, and because

NO JUDGE IS GOING TO EMANCIPATE A PAIR OF CHILDREN SO THAT THEY CAN LIVE TOGETHER AS A TRIAL RUN FOR BEING MARRIED, EVEN IF THEY BOTH SWEAR IT ISN'T FOR SEXUAL REASONS.

It is not being rude to give you a correct answer, just because that answer happens to not be what you want to hear.

1. Sponsored Links