Default Landlord "Suggests" That I Look for Another Place

This question is regarding rental laws in MASSACHUSETTS:

Hi,
    My lease was due to expire in September 2009, and I recently signed and mailed the extension documents to the company extending the lease till May next year.

My building has a pest problem, and I admit I have brought this to the company's attention alot via email. They were very responsive initially, and I like the place and location.

My latest email of a cockroach problem was replied to by a "suggestion" by the company that I may be more comfortable some place else, and that I was free to leave at any time. I have been labelled a "serial complainer".

This is my first time renting, so I have no idea what to do. Is this a notice? Am I being evicted? If I do decide to take them up on the "offer", what sort of documentation should I get from the company to make myself secure from litigation/collections later on?

Thanks

Default Re: Landlord "Suggests" That I Look for Another Place

If you've successfully extended your lease, then you have a lease through the end of May next year. If not, they can give you notice to move at the end of your current lease term. If so, they can decline to renew your lease in May.

If you choose to enter an agreement whereby they release you from the lease, yes, get written confirmation of the deal.

1. Sponsored Links