Default Child Visitation in Ohio

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Ohio

When my ex gets his visits ordered, someone told me that if he decided to just keep my 10 week old son and not return him I would have to go to court to get him back. I didn't think that sounded right but if anyone on here knows if this is true or not please let me know. My plan is to have custody (which I already have) and just let him have visits-I won't agree to shared custody. No visits have been ordered yet as we are awaiting the results of a DNA test that he demanded but I am positive this is his child.

Also, how can I get supervised visits? There is a fear that he might kidnap him, as he told me before he wanted to take his other 2 children and move out of state because he doesn't feel their mother is fit. Also, his house is dirty and his dog goes potty on the floor all the time, which he takes his sweet time cleaning up. There is clutter everywhere. He recently told me he does not plan to have his air on this summer because he cannot afford it and when I tried to explain to him that young children like our son cannot be in sweltering heat because they can't breathe in it, he didn't beleive me. He also has expired food in his refridgerator that he feeds his children because he thinks it's still good. I'm talking about t.v dinners that expired a year ago, and eggs that expired months ago. This is not an exaggeration and I fear that when my son gets old enough to eat these types of food he will get sick from them being so old.

Default Re: Child Visitation in Ohio

When my ex gets his visits ordered, someone told me that if he decided to just keep my 10 week old son and not return him I would have to go to court to get him back. I didn't think that sounded right but if anyone on here knows if this is true or not please let me know.
    He is not the legally established father of the child, you were not married, and there are no custody or visitation orders on the books yet, correct?

If that is all correct, then legally, he is a stranger to the child and if he takes the child now, he can be charged with kidnapping.

If he keeps the child in violation of custody orders after such have been arranged, you can have the police help you recover the child.

Supervised visitation is sometimes difficult to obtain. You'd do well to consult an attorney in your area to obtain the best possible outcome.

Default Re: Child Visitation in Ohio

If paternity has been established but you have no order for child support or custody, then there's no order describing your respective rights to your child. If paternity was established, how did that occur?

If you want supervised visitation, you have to convince a court to order it. It's exceptionally unlikely that a court will buy "I think he might kidnap the child" as grounds for supervision. Anybody can say that, and the order the court imposes will already restrict out-of-state moves. If you don't think his home is an appropriate environment, you can raise your issues to the court - I expect that he would deny your claims, or say "It'll be clean when my son visits." For most of human history, people (including babies) have lived without air conditioning.

1. Sponsored Links