Default How Do I Get My "Girlfriend" to Start Paying Her Share of the Bills and Rent

My question involves a roommate in the State of: Wisconsin

I built a house a few years ago for my girlfriend and i and her children to live in. We have lived together as a family for 8 years (3 years in this new house)All mortgages and utilities are in my name. I guess you could say it is my house, although I've never thought that way.
    We've never had a formal agreement for her to pay anything towards the mortgage or utilities. It just seemed to work out. Last fall 2008, I gave her the responsibility of paying the utilities. All of them went unpaid or very late, and I took them over again this spring.
    Unfortunately, I cannot keep making all of the mortgage and utility payments myself and I want her to to "pitch in". I hate having to ask for money every month.
    How can i get her to pay her portion?

Default Re: How Do I Get My "Girlfriend" to Start Paying Her Share of the Bills/Rent

How can i get her to pay her portion?
    In the absence of a formal agreement, you simply keep asking her to do so.

The alternative is to draw up a formal written agreement, and sue her in small claims if she fails to meet her obligations.

Default Re: How Do I Get My "Girlfriend" to Start Paying Her Share of the Bills/Rent

So if she refuses to pay, how can i "evict' her if needed? Do i need to give her notice, etc?
    Also, are these answers based on Wisconsin laws or just generalizations?

Default Re: How Do I Get My "Girlfriend" to Start Paying Her Share of the Bills and Rent

If you choose to evict her, you need to give her notice.

In the state of Wisconsin, you're looking at a 28 day notice to terminate tenancy. If she fails to move, you would then commence formal eviction proceedings.

Also, are these answers based on Wisconsin laws or just generalizations?
    I am unaware of any law, anywhere, to enforce "It just seemed to work out." With no agreement - verbal or otherwise - she's not legally obligated to give you a dime.

While it's terribly unromantic and unspontaneous, it would be in your best interests in the future to have a written agreement with respect to financial obligations prior to having someone move in.

1. Sponsored Links