Default Landlord Asked Me To Leave, But Won't Return Rent

live in Alberta Canada

I moved in Feburary 14th and I paid $325 for rent of feburary and $325 for a damage desposit. On March 1st she told me I had to pay $360 for rent this time and I ended up paying her on March 3rd. Because of this late payment she told me I was to leave by the end of the month or as soon as possible. I'm moving out now on March 8th so i havent even lived in the house for a full month but she declines to give me back the money i paid in march. I need to know if i can get this money back since that next monthly term hasnt even begun yet.

Default Lease?

Is there a lease or written rental agreement?

Oh there was no written agreement, she told me there will be no parties, and no boys staying the night, no drinking or drugs, and that rent is due on the first and its $325.
    I messed up the date, ive been there exactly one month from today.

Alberta offers a rather nice guide to landlord-tenant law, downloadable from this page (PDF Format). It indicates that a landlord must give three months notice of a rent increase for a month-to-month tenant. It also indicates a landlord's duties in relation to a security deposit.

Note that you are supposed to give a month's notice to terminate a tenancy. If you are moving out of your own accord, you may well be liable for that additional month's rent.

1. Sponsored Links