Default Unemployment Eligibility Based Upon Elimination of Part-Time Positions

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: Florida

Hello, I've worked part-time at a FL Public Library for about 2.5 yrs. I have 5 P/T co-workers whose jobs will be eliminated in 2 months, because this City-Owned library will become a County-Owned library at that time.

The County has no part-time positions, so the 6 part-time positions we currently occupy will cease to exist, to be replaced with 4 full-time positions.

The majority of us have worked part-time for the City for several years, and do not plan to switch to full-time work in October.

Will my co-workers and I be eligible for FL Unemployment Benefits at that time?

Thank you very much for your time and attention.

Default Re: 6 P/T Librarians Out of Work

I don't see any reason why not, assuming you qualify in all other ways, but only the state of Florida can say for certain. If you are offered full time work and turn it down, that could make a difference.

Default Re: 6 P/T Librarians Out of Work

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    I don't see any reason why not, assuming you qualify in all other ways, but only the state of Florida can say for certain. If you are offered full time work and turn it down, that could make a difference.
    I wonder... if we propose "Job Sharing" of those 4 full-time positions and the County Commission turns us down, would that strengthen our case?

Personally I'd MUCH rather Job Share than be unemployed, and I think my co-workers would agree on this point.

Thank you so much for your response!

I posted this same question to FL's Unemployment "Official" board (called "Agency for Workforce Innovation"), but they're much slower to respond.

Thanks again.

Edited to insert ending-paren.

1. Sponsored Links