Question Quit Claim on Property Never Owned

State of COLORADO

I purchased a house in 2006 while I was dating a loan officer. The title and mortgage are in my name ONLY. I just found out that my ex filed a quit claim deed on that property. She uses the address of my property as her legal address. She has never even lived there. Her friend is a notary public, and that is who signed and sealed the document. I know she's done a lot of shady and illegal things during her career and I'm worried she is at it again.

Can she legally file a quit claim deed for property she never owned?

Default Re: Quit Claim on Property Never Owned

Quote Quoting brita
    View Post

Can she legally file a quit claim deed for property she never owned?
    absolutely. A QC deed simply releases all interest in a property to whomever it is granted to. That does not mean there actually was any interest in the property though. This is often done in the case of married parties that eventually divorce but the land was titled in only one of their names. It removes the possibility of making a claim in the future against the land.

Now, in your situation, the big question is; to whom did she grant the deed to? If it was anybody other than you, I would suggest that that party is being scammed. To me, it would appear she was claiming some interest in the property which she has now deeded to another party. Obviously, if she never had any actual interest in the property, there would be no need for he to deed any and all interest in the property to yet another party.

I would check on this as it may cause you problems if some party believes they now hold an interest in your property.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Now, in your situation, the big question is; to whom did she grant the deed to? If it was anybody other than you, I would suggest that that party is being scammed. To me, it would appear she was claiming some interest in the property which she has now deeded to another party. Obviously, if she never had any actual interest in the property, there would be no need for he to deed any and all interest in the property to yet another party.

I would check on this as it may cause you problems if some party believes they now hold an interest in your property.
    She lists the Grantee as myself. For what reasons would a person do such a thing?

NOW you have a real problem. Unless you intended to grant the title to another, she has now committed several crimes and you need to contact the police; ASAP.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    NOW you have a real problem. Unless you intended to grant the title to another, she has now committed several crimes and you need to contact the police; ASAP.
    WOW! I call the police and tell them what? How do I explain this??

And thank you so much!!!!

Brita if you are listed as the "Grantee" on the quit claim deed then somebody is granting you something. Who is listed as the "Grantor"? If it is your buddy? If so your buddy is conveying any interest in the property they may have to you.

I hope I read your post right.

Quote Quoting Deward Bowles
    View Post
    Brita if you are listed as the "Grantee" on the quit claim deed then somebody is granting you something. Who is listed as the "Grantor"? If it is your buddy? If so your buddy is conveying any interest in the property they may have to you.

My ex is the Grantor. This quit claim is dated almost 2 years after our breakup. I don't understand why she would be conveying any interest in the property to me... she never had any interest in the property to begin with.

Quote Quoting Deward Bowles
    View Post

my apologies Brita. I was lost in the thought you were getting screwed royally and really screwed up my response. Maybe that part you had about her being shady. Not blaming you. It was simply an error on my part.

as DB states, if your are the grantee, the grantor is relinquishing any and all interest in the property to you (or whatever is stated in the QC). Not sure why but she may be required to do so because of something she is involved with where they believe she may have some rights to the property and cannot continue with the action if she does have any rights.

Of course, that is merely a guess and is only one possibility. There are other possibilities but simply put, she has disavowed any claims of interest in your property as of that date

again, my apologies.

1. Sponsored Links