Default Ex-Wife May Be Moving Out of State with Children

We live in the state of North Carolina/Concord...Exwife also in North Carolina/Greensboro.My husband's exwife is having maritial problems. Also financial problems. This is being told to us by my husband's daughter. She has primary custody of the children (girl 14/boy 10) We go every other weekend to pick them up. Their home is being auctioned off (foreclosed) the beginning of August 2009. Questioned daughter as to where will you live and she stated we are moving to Virginia. My husband's ex has family in Virginia. She also has a guy she is conversing with via Facebook and texting that lives in Virginia. Since she is having maritial problems all is falling in place for her. Ex works only the weekends and her now husband works during the week. She could pack up and go during his time at work. Why we think it could happen is that in 1998 my husband who was married to her was working his 3'rd shift job and she was at home with their 3 yr old daughter and 6 wk old son and she packed up and left him for the husband she has now. Basically the same pattern as she was cheating on my husband during their marriage with her present husband and took off and is doing the same to him. Kharma huh? Question, do we intercede before it happens as we are 2 hours away from them now or do we allow her to take them across state line and get her on kidnapping charges. She has several times violated the court order of every other weekend and Father's Day and etc. basically she calls the shots and has for quite some time. They would be moving into a single wide in Virgina (free 2 or 3 bedrooms) she does have 2 other children by her present husband making total of 4 kids. I have 2 of my own children from a previous marriage and when my stepkids come they all have their own rooms. My husband would love to have his kids and wouldn't ask her for a dime. He does pay her child support. Please advise as to who do we go to and how and when should we get this started. As we feel she may make her move very soon and even before the home is auctioned off...we have the kids right now but we take them back July 6'th. Any advise is greatly appreciated!!!

Default Re: Exwife Maybe Moving Out of State with Children

I'm not a lawyer, but I've been in the same situation. Check the custody agreement, make sure it states that the mother has to have permission to leave the state, not just tell him that she is leaving. If it does say that she has to ask permission then you may have something to stand on when she takes the chidlren. I couldn't do anything until my ex actually left the state.

Hope some one else has a little more knowledge on NC laws.

Good Luck!

Default Re: Exwife Maybe Moving Out of State with Children

Thank you we will verify the court papers regarding her living out of state.

Very appreciative on your input.

Default Re: Ex-Wife May Be Moving Out of State with Children

UPDATE: My husband's exwife...her now husband has left as of yesterday and now she is asking my husband would he be ok regarding her moving to VA. And this is a 4 hour trip for her and a 6 hour for us and she of course states she'd meet where we meet now which is a 4 hour trip for her and yet right now we can't even get her to meet half way a 45 minute trip for her and us to meet (we drive 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours to their 15 minute trip to the gas station) . But yet she is going to drive 4 hours to meet (1 way)...every other weekend? Worst part of all of is that the kids have to ride the whole way a 6 hour trip...12 hours of their weekend spent riding in a car every other weekend. There is no way! Actually we'd never see them...and this would be my husbands second time of having his kids taken from him. NOT FAIR!!!!

Default Re: Ex-Wife May Be Moving Out of State with Children

You do what you have to do. We traveled four hours one way (16 hours per weekend)every other weekend to see my kids. You can make time in the car quality time with a little planning. If this is the way things go, then do it, it's worth being able to keep the bond with your kids.

1. Sponsored Links