Arrow Getting Back into the Military After an Arrest

Perhaps someone can offer some suggestions...

The arrest story is rather simple... Arrested for Misdemeanor Domestic Assault in Oklahoma in 2007. Plead No Contest and received a deferred sentence. Completed everything and now the record says "disposed". As for what I understand, there was not an actual "conviction" but some do not see it that way and I am just as confused on whether it is a "conviction" or not.

While I was in the military, I was never disciplined for the issue and since "deferred" was the sentence, I was told that handling weapons was not a problem.

I discharged with the RE-1 and Honorable so I could finish my Master's Degree. I am now looking to get back in a certain program as an Officer- Clinical program. I have been denied by the Navy for that arrest, so now I am not sure where to go with this.

I have looked into expungement, but Oklahoma has two types; one I qualify for now and one I do not... but it seems expungement does not matter because the military will still find it.

I am not trying to hide what happened, nor was I dishonest. So before I move to the next branch, what are some things to consider when this issue will be addressed again? How can I get around this setback in life? Is legal assistance the way to go?

Default Re: Getting Back into the Military After an Arrest

If your record says "disposed", which means the case is resolved, I would expect there is something there indicating what the disposition was. Maybe the wording of the disposition or there not being one in the records is the problem.

Talk to the Navy Medical Programs recruiter and try to find out exactly why they denied you. Maybe it is a technicality such as I mentioned above. Maybe there are some specific requirements for the Clinical program that you are applying for that make any Domestic Assault record a disqualification. Maybe they determined that whatever information you provided about the incident misrepresented it.

Find out specifically why you were rejected, then go from there.

Default Re: Getting Back into the Military After an Arrest

Quote Quoting Scott67
    View Post
    If your record says "disposed", which means the case is resolved, I would expect there is something there indicating what the disposition was. Maybe the wording of the disposition or there not being one in the records is the problem.

Talk to the Navy Medical Programs recruiter and try to find out exactly why they denied you. Maybe it is a technicality such as I mentioned above. Maybe there are some specific requirements for the Clinical program that you are applying for that make any Domestic Assault record a disqualification. Maybe they determined that whatever information you provided about the incident misrepresented it.

Find out specifically why you were rejected, then go from there.
    No reason given other than I was rejected based on the information provided. There was no formal rejection, as in a letter, but they refused to work with me after my disclosure. I do agree with the possibility of the "misrepresentation" of the charge and the information I provided. The information basically states "completed 52 weeks of domestic violence counseling".

When I pull my own record it is listed as:

Disposition Information:

Disposed: DEFERRED, Date. Nolo Contendere Plea.
    Count as Disposed:ASSAULT AND BATTERY - DOMESTIC (ABDOM)

Anyone else?

1. Sponsored Links