Default Adult Child Name Change, One Parent Deceased

Okay, here goes nothing. My parents we're legally married to other people but separated from their spouses for 5 - 10+years before I was conceived( after I was born my mother filed for divorce and was granted)( My dad could not find his ex wife since she had left the country). my father never signed my birth certificate. I have my mothers husbands last name. Which is not my fathers. My father and I have had the desire to correct my last name. I haven't been able to find any information where as I can get this done. My mother has since passed away. I would like to know if I can proceed with my name correction without my mother? Should I utilize the newer cheaper DNA services? I was told by a lawyer that I would have to sue my father to get my name corrected. But that makes no sense. Can I get some information as to how to do this? He wants me to take care of something but legally I'm not his daughter. Genetically I am.

Default Re: Adult Child Name Change, One Parent Deceased

Now that you are an adult, I am pretty sure that you can change your name to whatever you like. As far as putting him on the birth certificate, that may be a different matter. But you can change your name to Tootie Fruity Bazooka Smith for all the court cares.

Quote Quoting hornschwaggled
    View Post
    Now that you are an adult, I am pretty sure that you can change your name to whatever you like. As far as putting him on the birth certificate, that may be a different matter. But you can change your name to Tootie Fruity Bazooka Smith for all the court cares.
    lol, what I need is my name corrected. and my pop added to my birth certificate. He needs me to handle some stuff for him. So your saying get my last name changed and add his name later? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I'll look into that

I once worked with a man who was such a bon jovi fan he had his name legally changed to john bon jovi.....

I am not trying to discourage you, but if part of the reason you are wanting your birth certificate changed is so you can 'handle some stuff for him', you could look into power of attorney for him, or something similiar that would enable you to act in his behalf or make decisions regarding him or his estate. I am not sure really how that works, but it might be worth looking into untill you get your birth certificate corrected.

1. Sponsored Links