Hybrid View

Default MIP and Property Owners Liability

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: Michigan

My family owns vacation property on a lake in Michigan. The property is in the name of an LLC and we have written by-laws for the property rules. One of our by-laws states that there is to be no drugs or underage drinking. Anyone who uses the property has to sign a form stating that they have read the by-laws.
    My question is this, if one of the owners children go to the property with out a parent and they bring friends with them and they are under age (21 is our drinking age, and we will say those attending would be over 18), what is our liability should either one of these things happen:
    The cops show up and find minors in possession?
    Someone gets hurt on the property or leaves and gets into an accident?

If they have signed the by-laws stating they know they can not drink, and we are not providing the alcohol or aware that drinking is taking place...are we free from risk?

Default Re: MIP and Property Owners Liability

No one is ever completely free from liability.

People can sue anyone... and will. It will be up to the court whether or not you are liable.

Who drew up the liability waiver?

I know in this day and age, everyone is able to be sued for anything.

A lawyer did our LLC papers. We (my sisters, dad and I) wrote the by-laws ourselves.

What I really want to know though is this. Because they are over 18 and have signed the by-laws, is there anything else that we need to do to be protected. Also, if the police come and issue tickets, are we going to be ticketed?

Quote Quoting sunriz32
    View Post
    I know in this day and age, everyone is able to be sued for anything.

A lawyer did our LLC papers. We (my sisters, dad and I) wrote the by-laws ourselves.

What I really want to know though is this. Because they are over 18 and have signed the by-laws, is there anything else that we need to do to be protected. Also, if the police come and issue tickets, are we going to be ticketed?
    Without reading the bylaws, none of us can tell you whether or not it will stand up in court.

Take them to a local attorney and ask. And ask him/her to make it so that you are as protected as possible.

I have to ask. Why would you give the keys to a home in the woods to children that you don't trust? Even if they are not arrested, the chances of damage have gone WAY up.

Odds are that the police will NOT be ticketing you unless there is a strong possibility that the owners knew what was going on...

And your post certainly points that way.

1. Sponsored Links