Default Property Manager Passive-Agressively Refusing to Fix Dishwasher

This is in NJ:

The apartment area where I rent every unit is given a dishwasher. My dishwasher stopped working some time ago and after 4 months of trying to setup an appointment I finally had someone come by and look at it. I was told they would have to order one and its been on "order" for almost 3 months now. So I have been without a working dishwasher for over half a year.

The problem they are having is due to them renting to a felon above me awhile ago I had to bite bullet and inform them I had firearms in my apt and that felon cannot be that close to them (that resulted in his eviction) . Because of the fact that I have unlocked and loaded firearms in my apartment, they refuse to come into my place unless I'm there and the problem with that is I work during their hours and they refuse to alter their staff shifts to make the needed repairs.

They are telling me I must miss work and hence suffer a lack of income and they are refusing to compensate me for the lost wages. What are my options here? Needless to say I am pretty much telling them to go **** themselves when its time to renew and making a website bashing their credibility.

Default Re: Property Manager Passively-Agressively Refusing to Fix Dishwasher

I'm a landlord, and I never paid a tenant's salary to stay home and wait for a repairman, in over 30 years I've been doing it. From time to time, to accomodate my tenants, I have hired "24/7" plumbers for twice the normal rate to come in at say, 8:00PM to do a repair, but not all landlords would do this, or obligated to do this, and it's only a choice that I made.

Some tenants insists they are there when repairs are done, and when they are in a line of work where they just cannot take a day off at the drop of a hat, then they usually arrange to have a friend or relative be at that apartment. Recently, there are services that sprang up where you can pay someone to come, sit and wait.

The landlord is obligated to make repairs, and would certainly help if they accomodate your hours to a reasonable degree, but is not obligated to hire people at double the normal rate just to suit your hours.

Some years ago, I lived in NJ, and needed monthly injections from a dermatologists, and NONE in my area is open on weekends or weekenights, only open when I'm working, and I have to make arrangements with my employer, and I was complaining that "I have to make a living and can't change my hours to suit some doctors".

It's one of these things in life that s#ucks, and you have to roll with it.

They basicly refuse to accomodate my hours at all. It has to be on their shift or not at all, hence the long repair time. The issue is the firewarms, Im not going to pay a company to wait in my apt with unlocked firearms that are freely accessable and laying around the place. Thats just a problem waiting to happen.

It's not a matter of me insiting that I be there, they are refusing to enter my appartment unless someone is present due to the firearms and "liability". I don't have minors in my apt and I don't believe in a "gun safe" cause im pretty sure someone breaking into my apt at night isn't going to wait for me to find the safe key, open it and load the firearm and then point it at them. I dont live in a bad area but at the same time if something does happen I want to be sure I can splatter their brains in less than 2 seconds.

Anyway back to the topic...I have also tried to make plans by removing the firearms by going to the "range" and having them in my car under legal transport methods and having my dog with me since I can bring my dog to work at any time and they still refused to enter cause "I might still have firearms and other weapons" in the appartment. So as you can see I did try to make it "safe" to enter but they refused that option and demand that I be there or someone else.

I'm responsible for tracking attendence where I am, and some lady took 3 vacation days to take care of a refigerator problem, not willing to use up another vacation day, so I just marked her down sick.

Don't you have sick days at work?? Arrange to have the repair guys come the first thing in the morning, call the boss up and say you're not feeling well at all, I'll be in later, maybe. When the repair is done, go to work, and tell the boss "I got better".

I even snuck off to some job interviews this way.

They basicly refuse to accomodate my hours at all.
    They're not legally required to.

Hire a poor college kid to come sit in your place on the appointed day. $50 and a pizza, and you've got someone there to keep an eye on things.

Well to be honest im paid salery and I get paid if I come into work or not. Take this week for example my boss texed me telling me I dont have to come in this week and to pick up my check friday and he will see me next week. Yea the benifet of being a database devolper and MIS combined. Anyway. thats not the point, I was just switched over to salary not too long ago and I dont feel the need to tell these assholes that.

I went threw all the trouble of loading all my stuff up in the car after asking if they would come in if I removed them....I come home and its broken..I called and they said "even though you removed them, you still have to be there" they are just playing games and thats what I mean by passive-aggressive refusing to fix it. I gave permission and removed the gun threat and they broke their word.

Oh and as for the college kid, yea that isnt going to happen..the last thing I need is a bored college kid putting bullet holes in the walls or worse yet shooting himself and then suing me.

So you could easily arrange for the repair, but you won't because you think it would be too easy for them?

You like firearms. Are you familiar with the expression, "Shooting yourself in the foot"?

Default Re: Property Manager Passive-Agressively Refusing to Fix Dishwasher

Well to be honest im paid salery and I get paid if I come into work or not.
    Then it's YOUR fault that the dishwasher isn't fixed, bub. You have no one to blame for your little Charlie Foxtrot situation but yourself.

Remedy the situation and quit fussing. Sheesh.

Default Re: Property Manager Passive-Agressively Refusing to Fix Dishwasher

You missed the part about how I just converted to salary? When I said that I mean as in a week or two ago. I have other things to do besides wait around while these jackasses have had months of trying to work something out..now im supposed to bend over more backwards and wait until they can come over? yea no. They had the chance to fix it as I did everything in my power to work out safe conditions. I will have them fix it soon but in the meantime I have better things to do and it just makes it a better case when I uploda the paperwork stating how long the repairs took. I cant wait til move out and it will be funny when I bash the hell out of that PM company with all legal things on my website. I already got some nice pictures of unsafe conditions, illegal (staff) tire disposal, etc and of course I will only remove the site after a large sum of money is given to me, otherwise I will drag that company name down as far as I can.

1. Sponsored Links