Default I Rear Ended a Car Due to Another Who Ran Away - What Can I Do

My question involves a traffic accident in the State of: North Carolina

I have a couple questions, but heres the story first.

Hey, so there are 3 cars in this situation: cars A, B, C. Car A wants to make a left turn onto the road we were traveling on, car b wants to make a left turn into the road car A was on, and I just want to move forward. Technically, car A should wait for us both to go, and then move when he has the chance. He instead, decides to cut car b off and he quick stops, causing me to quick stop but i still hit car b. He runs away and car b and c(my car) both blame car A.

this just happened a few hours ago and I'm thinking its going to end up being my fault.

Would this be a valid arguement?
    Since the car cut in front of us when by law, he/she should have waited, it is his fault not mine
    BECAUSE
    what he did is totally uncalled for, its like a car cutting into the wrong lane of traffic, causing a crash, and running away and the car who rear ended in the crash gets in trouble.

I do understand that I should have stopped in time, but it seems like It is totally car A's fault. Could him running away be used towards my case??

Default Re: I Rear Ended a Car Due to Another Who Ran Away. What Can I Do

You left out a bunch of details and without those, your post gets even more confusing...

Was this a 4 way stop?

How far behind B were you when A turned?

Where was B when A started the turn?

Were you moving, rolling or driving at or near the speed limit?

Also, typically, in rear end collisions, and unless the car in front made an illegal/unsafe lane change, then the vehicle in the back was either not paying attention, driving too close or driving too fast.

Default Re: I Rear Ended a Car Due to Another Who Ran Away - What Can I Do

Emergencies happen when you're driving, and you're supposed to observe a safe following distance so you can avoid rear-ending the vehicle in front of you. Sometimes you can argue that you should be excused from that due to a sudden emergency, but most of the time you'll be found partially to fully at fault for rear-ending the vehicle in front of you.

Are you asking this because you were ticketed, or because the driver you hit has made a claim against your insurance? (Or both?)

The driver of Car A may take the position that he didn't even realize there had been an accident, if you can even identify the car.

It would be seen as a T intersection to car A
    Car B and C were on the main road and B was trying to make a left turn. A was also trying to make a left turn but since B is on the main road, he has right of way. Since A was unwilling to abide by law and unwilling to wait, he cuts in front causing car B to quickstop and car C, going speed limit, tries to stop but hits car B. There were no cars coming on the other side of the road so car B had total right of way.
    - - -
    - - -
    ------- - -
    A - -
    ------- - B -
    - - C -
    - - -
    - - -

sorry, i tried to draw out how the road looked -.-

ok forget the drawing, it didnt come out the way it should have

What do you mean by emergencys?
    i'm sorry, this is the first accident.
    can you give me some examples of emergencies?

There was no ticket or citation actually, i just got a piece of paper with some information about the other guy.

The cop said that there would be a police report or something in 3-5 days though.

Quote Quoting p0179417
    View Post
    Since A was unwilling to abide by law and unwilling to wait, he cuts in front causing car B to quickstop and car C, going speed limit, tries to stop but hits car B.
    Forget about car A... Car B was making a left turn, he signaled and slowed down in anticipation of making that turn... You come up behind him at or close to the speed limit... And while you see that he has signal to turn, you assumed he would be out of the way by the time you get there.

He didn't... You tried to stop, but couldn't do so in time.

Am I close?

yes, but would that mean that car A wouldn't be involved in the least bit?

The way i see it, car A is the one who cause the accident while b and c are but victims.

Quote Quoting p0179417
    View Post
    yes, but would that mean that car A wouldn't be involved in the least bit?
    While car A may have cotributed to the fact that car B wasn't out of your way when you collided with it, the fact that you didn't slow down enough to ensure that car B was out of your way when you got there is what caused the accident.

Think of it this way... Let's assume that car A did not exist... What if driver B stalled his car when he attempted to make that turn?

Who's fault would it have been then?

Quote Quoting p0179417
    View Post
    The way i see it, car A is the one who cause the accident while b and c are but victims.
    There is only one victim here... That is car B and its driver.

And please understand that I have no reason to pick on you specifically... I am just giving you my opinion as I see it and would have stated the same thing had it been driver A, driver B or driver C who started this thread.

It would be great if you can update this thread when you get your copy of the police report. Good luck!

1. Sponsored Links