Default Vehicle Towed with Puppy

My question involves towing laws for the State of: Illinois

Hello. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

I recently made the mistake of parking in a fire lane. I know this was a mistake in itself on my behalf, but I was hoping for clarification on the following: Immediately after parking in the fire lane (flashers on), I proceeded into my local drug store to pick up an item. I was in the store for no longer than 1-2 minutes, TOPS. Upon exiting the store, my car was gone. I had a puppy in the car... windows cracked (again, wasn't away from the car for more than 100 seconds). The irritating part of this story to me is: A.) Predatory towing was definitely in place, as a "stake-out" car came around and stopped next to me immediately after I exited the store and proceeded to tell me the car had been towed, handed me an address of where I could retrieve my car, drove off and circled around to his "stake-out" parking spot to continue to hunt for his next victim. B.) There was no sign stating unauthorized vehicles would be towed (now, I can't say that I am familiar with all state towing laws, but a hunch tells me there's fine print involved in when a car can or can't be towed), so I am unsure if when a specific sign is NOT posted, can ANY towing company take action? or is this a matter for police to take care of? or something entirely different? C.) My puppy was in the car during this whole fiasco. To me, towing a car with an infant inside is just as wrong as towing a car with a puppy. Are there laws on that? D.) When I arrived at the lot where my car had been taken, I quickly noticed my dog was not in the vehicle...this sent chills down my spine. Was THAT legal for them to enter my car, and handle (or MIS-handle for all I know) my puppy? I payed the fine, went on my way, but I still can't help but think something was wrong with the whole event. Again, thanks so much in advance for any help on the matter.

Sincerely,
    A Concerned Citizen.

Default Re: Vehicle Towed with Puppy

Quote Quoting haskii3
    View Post
    My question involves towing laws for the State of: Illinois

Hello. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

I recently made the mistake of parking in a fire lane. I know this was a mistake in itself on my behalf, but I was hoping for clarification on the following: Immediately after parking in the fire lane (flashers on), I proceeded into my local drug store to pick up an item. I was in the store for no longer than 1-2 minutes, TOPS. Upon exiting the store, my car was gone. I had a puppy in the car... windows cracked (again, wasn't away from the car for more than 100 seconds). The irritating part of this story to me is: A.) Predatory towing was definitely in place, as a "stake-out" car came around and stopped next to me immediately after I exited the store and proceeded to tell me the car had been towed, handed me an address of where I could retrieve my car, drove off and circled around to his "stake-out" parking spot to continue to hunt for his next victim. B.) There was no sign stating unauthorized vehicles would be towed (now, I can't say that I am familiar with all state towing laws, but a hunch tells me there's fine print involved in when a car can or can't be towed), so I am unsure if when a specific sign is NOT posted, can ANY towing company take action? or is this a matter for police to take care of? or something entirely different? C.) My puppy was in the car during this whole fiasco. To me, towing a car with an infant inside is just as wrong as towing a car with a puppy. Are there laws on that? D.) When I arrived at the lot where my car had been taken, I quickly noticed my dog was not in the vehicle...this sent chills down my spine. Was THAT legal for them to enter my car, and handle (or MIS-handle for all I know) my puppy? I payed the fine, went on my way, but I still can't help but think something was wrong with the whole event. Again, thanks so much in advance for any help on the matter.

Sincerely,
    A Concerned Citizen.
    Your concern is quite puzzling. You left a puppy in your car with the windows cracked a bit. If I follow your logic then, you'd be okay with leaving your baby in the car too. That sends chills down my spine

Thank God in the eyes of the law a puppy is not the same as a baby. 1 ~ you would have gone to jail for leaving your baby in the car with the windows cracked a bit. 2 ~ your puppy is considered property. If your property was damaged then file a small claim suit for the damages you suffered.

The mishandling here didn't begin with the tow truck driver. You parked illegally. You left your puppy in the vehicle unattended. You were wrong ~ only you.

You might want to also post the city where this incident occured. There could be a municipal code regulation that might vary (more restrictive) than those set by the state.

If you check your local ordinances, you will likely find that they provide for the towing from designated fire lanes at any time, at the expense of a driver parked in the fire lane. (See, e.g., Wheaton's ordinance.) You can't park a car in a designated fire lane, as it is to be kept clear at all times in case of an emergency.

Quote Quoting Antigone
    View Post
    Your concern is quite puzzling. You left a puppy in your car with the windows cracked a bit. If I follow your logic then, you'd be okay with leaving your baby in the car too. That sends chills down my spine

Thank God in the eyes of the law a puppy is not the same as a baby. 1 ~ you would have gone to jail for leaving your baby in the car with the windows cracked a bit. 2 ~ your puppy is considered property. If your property was damaged then file a small claim suit for the damages you suffered.

The mishandling here didn't begin with the tow truck driver. You parked illegally. You left your puppy in the vehicle unattended. You were wrong ~ only you.
    I totally and wholeheartedly agree with you, Antigone, in fact, I find it pretty interesting that someone will knowingly, willingly and wantonly violate the law, admit to it and when they get caught, they back peddle far enough where they put them selves in a place where they can lay the blame on someone else violating the law (as in an officer made a mistake OR a sign was not posted).

With that being said, I think the OP has a legitimate question as to whether the vehicle can be towed without a citation being issued by law enforcement or parking enforcement.

I'm not sure... But I will do some research and post back if I find anything.

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    I totally and wholeheartedly agree with you, Antigone, in fact, I find it pretty interesting that someone will knowingly, willingly and wantonly violate the law, admit to it and when they get caught, they back peddle far enough where they put them selves in a place where they can lay the blame on someone else violating the law (as in an officer made a mistake OR a sign was not posted).

With that being said, I think the OP has a legitimate question as to whether the vehicle can be towed without a citation being issued by law enforcement or parking enforcement.

I'm not sure... But I will do some research and post back if I find anything.
    I think you'd find that if the OP was parked in the fire lane, towing without notice would be considered legal and appropriate. Let us know That Guy

Quote Quoting Antigone
    View Post
    I think you'd find that if the OP was parked in the fire lane, towing without notice would be considered legal and appropriate. Let us know That Guy
    OK, here is my "Oops, my bad"....

And here is my excuse: "I was more focused to find out what happened to the poor puppy that I totally missed the first few sentences in the OP's OP where "fire zone" was mentioned twice.... I was under the (wrong) impression thinking it was just a red zone. I know you'll agree with me that while every "fire zone" is "red zone", not every "red zone" is a fire zone".

My mistake!

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    OK, here is my "Oops, my bad"....

And here is my excuse: "I was more focused to find out what happened to the poor puppy that I totally missed the first few sentences in the OP's OP where "fire zone" was mentioned twice.... I was under the (wrong) impression thinking it was just a red zone. I know you'll agree with me that while every "fire zone" is "red zone", not every "red zone" is a fire zone".

My mistake!
    ... Lol. Its all good That Guy. All except leaving a puppy unattended in a car in parked in a fire zone

Quote Quoting Antigone
    View Post
    ... Lol. Its all good That Guy. All except leaving a puppy unattended in a car in parked in a fire zone
    Agreed! Man if PETA were to get wind of this thread

1. Sponsored Links