Default Correcting Grandmother's Name on My Father's Birth Certificate

My question involves name change laws in the State of: New York

Hello.

When my grandmother came to the U.S., she naturalized with the name Gina as her first name, but on her Italian birth certificate, her name is Luigia. I have had her birth certificate translated and notarized into english, but the NYS dept. of health refuses to change my father's birth certificate to say Luigia, even though I have had my Grandmother sign a notarized document stating she is in fact Luigia, but started to use the name Gina when she moved to this country. I need to have her name fixed on my father's birth certificate to proceed with my Italian citizenship application, and I am curious what my options are, to proceed to have this fixed.

I appreciate any input and advise

thank you

sean

Default Re: Correcting Grandmother's Name on My Father's Birth Certificate

They are rejecting your request for what reason? For example, are they stating that you have no standing to request modification of somebody else's birth certificate? Is your father no longer alive?

Default Re: Correcting Grandmother's Name on My Father's Birth Certificate

My father AND GRANDMOTHER are both still living, and I actually had my grandmother request in writing that her name be fixed on my father's birth certificate, she sent this letter with her official notarized/translated Italian birth certificate, and when the document was mailed to me I call the NYS dept. of Health to ask why her name was not fixed, they simply said the were not allowed to put a different name on a birth certificate. All the research I've done in the past week on this seems to conclude that you need a court order to have the NYS dept of health do this, as I take it I'm not the 1st person to need to have birth records amended for this purpose.

1. Sponsored Links