Hybrid View

Question Can They Make Mom Work

This involve Illinois.

And its more about curiousity rather than a particular case (although it may come in handy later).

From the way I understand Illinois law regarding child support if a NCP (usually a father) is not employed, the courts may require him to participate in a job search program and report his efforts back to the court similiar to the way unemployment agencies work. Essentially, requiring him to find a job.

Is it possible to have the CP (usually the mom) do the same thing? If she is not working, it seems like it would be only fair to require HER to do something to locate work and help support the child especially if child support and state aid were her only forms of income.

Default Re: Can They Make Mom Work

They do not, but they will impugn income on her for the purposes of calculating support.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Default Re: Can They Make Mom Work

Quote Quoting divemedic
    View Post
    They do not, but they will impugn income on her for the purposes of calculating support.
    Impute. The word is impute, not impugn.

Secondly, the custodial parent's income is not taken into effect when calculating support in IL. It's a percentage of the NCP's income.

NOTE: This type of question is why it is important to list the name of your state and have the answers reflect the subject state. Not every state utilizes the income shares model to calculate support, therefore the response given by divemedic may be true in some states, it appears not to be for Illinois.

1. Sponsored Links