Default Proceeding with Visitation

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Florida.

I have a seven-year-old that my daughter's mother and I recently went to court on. We'd long agreed to keep things out of court but how quickly things change when a sorry POS step parent becomes involved.

Either way, my situation. I wasn't aware that child visitation couldn't be established during a child support hearing (discovered the day of the hearing). After spending a significant amount of time fighting for custody, there wasn't much money left to kick up a fight for visitation. Our support case was just decided a couple of months ago so it's taking a little bit of time to save up money to fight for visitation.

My question is are there any pro-bono organizations that can help? I'd like to proceed with this as quickly as possible. I'm single handedly bankrolling every activity my daughter is involved in (surfing, karate, summer camp, private school, soccer) and it's frustrating because I know (and yes, I do know) that my daughter is being told "to thank your dad." Problem is she's now being forced to call her step-dad "dad" so the thanks is going to him. Additionally, my daughter's mother is introducing her husband as my daughter's biological father.

I suppose that's all secondary, just needed to vent, but back to the original point: any groups, organizations, attorneys, etc. that can offer assistance pro-bono or at a nominal fee? I'm slowly being squeezed out of my daughter's life (refusing to let me see her because no visitation she's forced to adhere to, won't let me talk to her, telling her she has to call her step-dad dad) and I'd like to move quickly. Also, is there anything I can legally do to force her to stop telling my daughter to call her step-dad dad?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

EDIT:

Reading through some other threads, it seems like the folks who have all the answers can be a bit - just a bit - harsh. So I want to clarify a few points that I'm certain I'd get shredded on.

First, we never established child support or visitation in the last seven years simply because I couldn't afford it. She knew it and I appreciate her not pursuing it. But, we did have an agreement that served us pretty well for years. After each job advancement or increase in wages/salary, we would re-visit the issue of finances and we would increase it. Visitation was never really much of an issue. I didn't see her as much as I wanted to. Part of it was due to the mother being difficult and part of it was being six hours away.

I think that's all that needed clarification. Just didn't want to be ripped because I "didn't go after visitation when the child was born" or be accused of "getting out of paying child support for years" (which isn't true anyway).

I'm not trying to be snide or rude, and I am appreciative of any assistance that anyone is willing to provide, but honestly, I'm a grown man. I don't need nor want anyone speaking down to me because I didn't do everything perfectly (or at least as someone thought I should).

Default Re: Proceeding with Visitation

Getting a visitation order pretty much involves asking the court to grant one. Unless there's something seriously wrong with you, the court will at least grant standard parenting time - usually every other weekend, a midweek visit, and some holiday time during the summer. If you chose not to pursue visitation in "exchange" for mom's not seeking child support, that was your choice to make - but it was your choice, not something necessitated by your lack of a lawyer.

What's the big deal about asking for visitation now? Start here.

Default Re: Proceeding with Visitation

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    Getting a visitation order pretty much involves asking the court to grant one. Unless there's something seriously wrong with you, the court will at least grant standard parenting time - usually every other weekend, a midweek visit, and some holiday time during the summer. If you chose not to pursue visitation in "exchange" for mom's not seeking child support, that was your choice to make - but it was your choice, not something necessitated by your lack of a lawyer.

What's the big deal about asking for visitation now? Start here.
    I appreciate the jumping point for visitation. However, I would like to clarify one point.

The mom was not seeking child support through the courts. I still paid child support. We still had somewhat of a loose visitation arrangement. Just because we didn't do things through the courts doesn't mean I never saw my child and it doesn't mean I got off free and clear from having to pay child support.

Thanks again for the info but it's important that that I don't get looked upon as some dirtbag POS who didn't pay anything for his child.

1. Sponsored Links