Default Understanding a Request to Produce

This is about an Illinois case.

My fiance has just recieved a request to produce at the same time he recieved a petition for adjudication of indirect civil contempt. The court date for the contempt is in the middle of next month, but the request to produce requires a response before that. (in 28 days). Am I correct that the request to produce is necessary before the court date on the contempt case? Also does the request to produce mean that they are going to reevaluate the amount of support owed at the case for contempt, or is this just standard procedure?

Also, the request to produce asks for "All documents in relation to health/hospitalization/dental insurance for the Respondent and/or his dependants". Does this include health insurance information on the child we just had together (since it is his dependant) or just information about the child that the support case is about (the child with his ex girlfriend)?

He also got served with a "show cause order" a few days after the above two orders were sent asking him to show cause as to why he shouldnt be held in contempt of court.

Default Re: Understanding a Request to Produce

Quote Quoting hornschwaggled
    View Post
    This is about an Illinois case.

My fiance has just recieved a request to produce at the same time he recieved a petition for adjudication of indirect civil contempt. The court date for the contempt is in the middle of next month, but the request to produce requires a response before that. (in 28 days). Am I correct that the request to produce is necessary before the court date on the contempt case? Also does the request to produce mean that they are going to reevaluate the amount of support owed at the case for contempt, or is this just standard procedure?

Also, the request to produce asks for "All documents in relation to health/hospitalization/dental insurance for the Respondent and/or his dependants". Does this include health insurance information on the child we just had together (since it is his dependant) or just information about the child that the support case is about (the child with his ex girlfriend)?

He also got served with a "show cause order" a few days after the above two orders were sent asking him to show cause as to why he shouldnt be held in contempt of court.
    Just curious, in your other 2 threads you said that he is your husband, in this one he is your fiance. Which is correct?

Recieving a request to produce for a contempt hearing is standard procedure.
    He needs to produce everything they ask for to help defend himself.

If he can get documentation regarding the insurance that seperates the 2 children he can use that. If not, he'll need to produce what he has with a written explaination that there is another child covered that is not part of the CS order.

Does he have an attorney?
    If not, he really needs to hire one.

Technically for the next 8 days he is my fiance. The wedding is fastly approaching. That is another of my concerns, our finances wil be fully entertwined in less than 2 weeks. We already have a joint vehicle, and a joint bank account, as well as a joint lease. I guess with the wedding less than 2 weeks away its easier to call him my husband.

The main problem with hiring a lawyer is that we just dont have any money. I am the only one working (he stays home with my two kids only one of those is his too.) I would take it from our wedding plans, but its just a minister and my parents back yard. No real costs to cut back.

My sons and I are both insured by the state of Missouri. He is not. The insurance available thru my job is too costly in comparison to my income. My oldest son is insured thru the state due to an absentee father. So technically, I am the one who provides insurance for one of his 2 dependants......the one who is also my dependant. Well the state does, but I do have copays for the insurance.

Quote Quoting hornschwaggled
    View Post
    Technically for the next 8 days he is my fiance. The wedding is fastly approaching. That is another of my concerns, our finances wil be fully entertwined in less than 2 weeks. We already have a joint vehicle, and a joint bank account, as well as a joint lease. I guess with the wedding less than 2 weeks away its easier to call him my husband.

The main problem with hiring a lawyer is that we just dont have any money. I am the only one working (he stays home with my two kids only one of those is his too.) I would take it from our wedding plans, but its just a minister and my parents back yard. No real costs to cut back.

My sons and I are both insured by the state of Missouri. He is not. The insurance available thru my job is too costly in comparison to my income. My oldest son is insured thru the state due to an absentee father. So technically, I am the one who provides insurance for one of his 2 dependants......the one who is also my dependant. Well the state does, but I do have copays for the insurance.
    By having joint bank accounts and joint assets, you are taking a HUGE risk. Any account with his name on it, and any asset with his name on it can, and likely will be levied or liened.

For your own protection you should open a bank account in your name and deposit only your income into it. It's probably too late to do anything about the joint vehicle, but in the future keep all of your assets seperate. However, keep in mind that it means that only you will be making the payments on the asset, otherwise it could be construed as him attempting to hide assets.

Trust me I have realized the issues with it all. As a matter of fact, I have even considered NOT getting married just so his arrearage cannot be levied against MY tax return. Its not that he or I doesnt want to pay, only that payment should be made IF it is indeed his child.

1. Sponsored Links