Question Less Than 30 Days Notice So Do I Forfeit My Deposit

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Utah

I've been on a month to month lease in an apartment I hate for awhile now. My husband and I found a new place we loved and so we gave written notice right away. The problem is that I was two days late so I only gave 28 days notice. Do I automatically have to forfeit my entire security deposit or do I just get a partial deduction as a penalty? I looked through my lease and it doesn't say whether giving improper notice will result in losing my entire deposit or not.

I've looked everywhere to find the answer for this but Utah doesn't seem to have many online resources for Tenants.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Default Re: Less Than 30 Days Notice So Do I Forfeit My Deposit

On a month to month tenancy you must give a full 30 days notice of 1 full rental period.

Example: Say you want to move out June 30th. Notice must be received prior to May 31st. If you gave notice May 20th, you would still be legally responsible for the full month of June.

You don't forfit your deposit, but you must pay rent for the full duration of your notice time. Your deposit would be returned within 30 days of vacating the property.

1. Sponsored Links