Default Can a Bad Driver's Employer Be Held Accountable

I'm not to sure on the correct forum to post this question, this does relate to motor vehicles. The business I work for is with cars, a reckless employee came very close to hitting another employee with a car. This guy managed to get out the way with only split seconds to spare. He's also had numerous other close calls but none as serious as this one. My manager knows about his recklessness, but so far has chosen not to fire this employee or take any disciplinary action against him.

My question being; if the reckless employee ends up injuring or even killing someone, can my manager be held accountable since he chose not to take any action regarding the reckless employee? This is in the state of Michigan.

Default Re: Can He Be Held Accountable

There may be legal liability, possibly, from a doctrine called "retention of a negligent employee".

There was a case somewhere where a store chain hired a sexual offense convicted person and when he assaulted a customer, they sued for hiring a negligent employee, etc.

Default Re: Can He Be Held Accountable

I would rearrange the words slightly: Negligent retention of an employee. (It's the employer's negligence that creates the cause of action against the employer, so....) But if one employee hits a co-employee with a car while they're both on the job and performing their duties, it's going to be a worker's comp case, not a tort.

Default Re: Can a Bad Driver's Employer Be Held Accountable

Quote Quoting benz182
    View Post
    I'm not to sure on the correct forum to post this question, this does relate to motor vehicles. The business I work for is with cars, a reckless employee came very close to hitting another employee with a car. This guy managed to get out the way with only split seconds to spare. He's also had numerous other close calls but none as serious as this one. My manager knows about his recklessness, but so far has chosen not to fire this employee or take any disciplinary action against him.

My question being; if the reckless employee ends up injuring or even killing someone, can my manager be held accountable since he chose not to take any action regarding the reckless employee? This is in the state of Michigan.
    Is there a paper trail? Any complaints put in writing that the employer cannot deny if asked? If not, then "I don't recall any verbal compaints about this employee."

Not written, not said.

If there is a paper trail of dangerous driving complaints then the employer could be liable in tort if the person was in an accident (assuming it is of the same nature as the complaints) that wasn't covered by Workers Comp (ie Hits a member of the public)

1. Sponsored Links