Angry Pulled Over for No Reason, Found with Suspended License

so i just got pulled over in Oakland county MI, by 2 Oakland county sheriffs.... when they came up to my window after driving past me for about 500 feet, stopped in the center lane, waited for me to turn left and as i drove by them got behind me and followed me for about a half mile... doing 5 under the speed limit the whole time, i pulled up to a red light with the cops in the lane to the left of mine staying behind the car of course... they pulled up to the side of my car at the red light and i glanced over and gave the cop a lil friendly nod with a smile... the light turned green and as soon as he could he got behind me flicked the lights and pulled me over... both cops get out of the car and start walking up to my car, as i had 2 friends with me by the way... i roll down my window and the cop ask's for my license, but with it being suspended i dont carry it with me, i pretended to look in my pockets for it, and he tells me the reason i am pulled over.... your brake lights are out, i asked REALY?!?!? i knew this was total b.s. as soon as he told me as i have LED's in my brake lights in the back and i am checking out my car on a daily basis as it is a custom saturn sl2.... but thats beside the point.... the point is i knew it was b.s.... but as i was getting the rest of my info together they asked who was drinking tonight, and none of us were, and then he asked if we had been smoking weed, and none of us had... he pulled me out of the car serched me, put me in the back of the car after almost crushing my legs in the door cause there was literaly about 3 inchs of leg room in the back and a rifle and sheriffs jacket (they took out the rifle right after i got in)... as i am sitting in the back and serching my name in the comp it came up that i didnt have a license of course... i told him i didnt know, like everyone im sure would... he persited to tell me my brake lights were out, and kept asking me who was smoking weed tonight... and asked about my buddy in the back if he was high cause his eyes were red (were in allergy season and it was 3 in the morning why do you think) i told him we were tired cause we were and none of us even smoke weed and we didnt touch a drop of alcohle all night... basicly i got a ticket for a suspended license, and not even a warning to get my lights fixed....

now my question is doesnt the police have to have a actual valid reason to pull someone over and not just lie and tell you something as over used as a brake light out excuse, when it was totaly bs as i checked the lights right after he pulled me over and they work just fine...

thank you for any infomation

Default Re: Pulled Over for No Reason, Found with Suspended License

basicly i got a ticket for a suspended license, and not even a warning to get my lights fixed....
    Given that your license is in fact suspended and you say your lights are fine, what, precisely, would you expect? To not be ticketed for driving under suspension?

He may have interpreted your nod and a smile as smartassery and decided to see what you were up to. Either way, your ticket will stand.

Quote Quoting ScrewedInWaterford
    View Post
    now my question is doesnt the police have to have a actual valid reason to pull someone over and not just lie and tell you something as over used as a brake light out excuse, when it was totaly bs as i checked the lights right after he pulled me over and they work just fine...

thank you for any infomation

Most constitutionally certainly they need a reason to pull you over.

Stopping a motor vehicle IS a seizure under the 4th AM.

Assume the reason was a lie, if he still had a valid reason, the ticket stands.

He could have ran your plate before the stop and saw you had a suspended license.

If you decide to plead not guilty and a trial ensues, when the officer is questioned on the stand, IF he can not articulate a reason for the stop, you can ask the charge be dismissed, as it was the product of an unconstitutional seizure.

Be advised though he will not admit the seizure was unlawful, even if it was, so be prepared for that.

More than likely, if you are the registered owner of the vehicle, they knew your license was suspended before they pulled you over. Nifty things, those in-car computers that run tags and driver's licenses. And no, they don't need a reason to run your tag first. If you're driving around, they can run your tag (since it's actually the state's tag). The officer doesn't have to tell you the truth about why you were stopped.

1. Sponsored Links