Default Civil Demand Letter

Ok Finally I got a civil demand letter from Kohl's seeking me the exact amount of the shoplifted amount of money. I do not plan to hire any attorney as I can't afford one. My court date is not until 1 more month and I have been trying to get free consultation from different attorneys. Pleading GUILTY is completing kicking ur own so I plan to stand MUTE at the court and seek a public defender which I believe would cost me less money. However, I am so confused at this moment.
    1. Should I go ahead and pay the civil demand even if I am standing MUTE at the court?
    2. Getting a diversion program >> Does it still make you have a criminal record??
    3. What would the benefits of having ur personal attorney over a public defender?

Serious help please

Default Re: Civil Demand Letter

1) Yes. You have to pay that regardless of what you plan to do in court, they're two completely separate things.

2) Depends on the terms of the diversion program. Most of them leave you with no record once you complete them.

3) The only difference between a PD and private counsel is that the PD has a heavier case load and is paid a lower fee by the state.

Thanks for replying so do you think that we can get a PD even before we appear at the court..if Yes >>HOW?

Please suggest!

To my knowledge, you cannot get a Public Defender before the court date. At the arraignment, your plea should be "I stand mute". Then they will ask if you have counsel or need a PD.

1. Sponsored Links