Default Property Boundary Dispute Including and Old Fence

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Washington

I bought my house 3 years ago and I got a survey within the first year. I had it recorded with the state immediately afterward. When the survey came back it showed that each side of my property line was off about ten feet resulting in me having more property on both sides. I had a neighbor call me and tell me she was surprised and all that kind of talk. I told her that eventually I was going to replace the dilapidated excising fence ( it is not really even a fence it is mostly wire wrapped around trees) . That was 2 years ago and I recently called her back and said I was moving forward. I ended up talking with her husband who told me that the excising "fence" was the property line because it was there first, also he said that before I bought the house is when I would have had to do something about it...? He said when I bought my house with that fence there that I essentially signed off on its placement. He did express a certain willingness to compromise some but who knows how much. I laugh when I look at this fence because it is so old it is barely recognizable and not even close to functional. I have the legal description and paperwork from my mortgage paperwork and it all matches my survey. The area in dispute is in my neighbors very back yard and they have lived there over 20 years. I am still in touch with my previous homes owners and they say they never agreed on that property line. So I am unsure what to do next.

I also have 2 others neighbors on the same side of the property( three lots in total flanking that side of my lot) I have not heard from yet..
    If I do not have the law definitely on my side do I compromise so there would be no chance of them all getting in land dispute cases..$$

Thanks!

Default Re: Property Boundary Dispute Including and Old Fence

You can instruct them that you believe the property line on your survey is accurate, notify them that you're building the fence at the new location, get permits and build your fence. If they wish to stop you, they can hire a lawyer and try to lay claim to the land that's current on their side of the fence.

Sometimes a fence is just a fence.

Especially if it is just strung from tree to tree as a matter of convenience.

Sounds like that is what we have here and Mr. K has given good advice.

As a surveyor, I want to see a line fence in a very straight line for starters.

Thank you very much for your input and advice. This is a great forum and I am very impressed with the extensive knowledge base. I hope to post a couple of follow up questions in the next couple of days after I talk with my neighbors again.

Thanks again!

1. Sponsored Links