Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tracking Down Lien Holder

Lemme try and make this easy to follow (sorry)....

Great friends of ours "purchased" a vehicle from their friend. After buying the truck, they discovered there was a lien on the truck. Their friend reassured them that he would get them a clean title. That NEVER happened.

Well, the truck has been in our drive way for almost a year. Our dear friends have subsequently moved outta state. We would like to "buy" the vehicle from the lien holder, but have no clue as to where he is, although we suspect in Utah.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Tracking Down Lien Holder

Quote Quoting Missnaz
    View Post
    Lemme try and make this easy to follow (sorry)....

Great friends of ours "purchased" a vehicle from their friend. After buying the truck, they discovered there was a lien on the truck. Their friend reassured them that he would get them a clean title. That NEVER happened.

Well, the truck has been in our drive way for almost a year. Our dear friends have subsequently moved outta state. We would like to "buy" the vehicle from the lien holder, but have no clue as to where he is, although we suspect in Utah.

Any thoughts?
    Ya, what makes you think you can buy it from the lien holder? They do not own it. They only have a lien on the title. It is owned by the person whose name is listed on the title as "owner".

In any state I am familiar with, the lien holder is listed on the title.

Better question then... How would we go about ensuring that we can legally and ethically obtain title to this vehicle?

The "owner" was paid long ago. We are all, however, are under the belief that the lien holder was never paid, thus explaining the absence of title.

The "owner" of the vehicle has no interest in it, our friends have said they have no interest...

well, with this I can offer no assistance. The state(s) involved is needed and you failed to provide that info, even though you were prompted to when you initiated this thread.

[QUOTE=jk;319215...even though you were prompted to when you initiated this thread.[/QUOTE]

Please explain. I have no problem with following protocol, but I do not understand.

sure. This:

Please Include The Name Of Your State
    was posted in bold letters directly above the box for your post.

Each state has their own laws and without that info, how do you propose anybody could address your question properly?

see here for a "new thread" page:

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/newt...ewthread&f=109

Missnaz,

What is the name of the State where you reside? (As in New York, California, Michigan... etc).

Also, I think Missnaz is talking about a secondary lien that is not related to the financial institution where the vehicle was financed (something like a "mechanics lien").

Missnaz, have you tried CARFAX? Or the DMV for the State where you reside should also be able to provide you with some information although considering the fact that you are not the registered owner, that information might be protected pursuant to some Privacy Laws...

Default Re: Tracking Down Lien Holder - Az

Thank you, ThatGuy ~ I reside in Az. And, it is a "secondary" lien holder, an individual, not a conventional lending institution.

I was able to determine the name of lien holder via CarFax; beyond his name, I was not able to determine anything else ~ no state, no last known address, etc..

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance, BTW.

(I will try DVM in Utah come Tuesday.)

Quote Quoting Missnaz
    View Post
    Thank you, ThatGuy ~ I reside in Az. And, it is a "secondary" lien holder, an individual, not a conventional lending institution.

I was able to determine the name of lien holder via CarFax; beyond his name, I was not able to determine anything else ~ no state, no last known address, etc..

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance, BTW.

(I will try DVM in Utah come Tuesday.)
    Well, the lien has to have been filed in court. So what you might want to do is to contact you local court for information about finding out where, when and by whom the lien was filed against the vehicle.

That might reveal an older address for the lien holder. So I'm not sure how much help that will end up giving you but its a start...

And you're welcome, BTW!

If you have the name of the lien holder you can search through various sites for known addresses. They cost money but it may be a quicker route for you!

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast