Question Do I Have a Right to Negotiate with Collectors on a Ticket

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California
    It was either from lack of registration or insurance in 2006. I was broke at the time and extended it. Then I missed a court date...then I went to court and found out I owe $700 (I think I even got registered, don't ask why I never took the time to prove it). I was barley surviving off of server tips, there was no way I was going to pay. I opted for community service (which means I still had to pay a couple hundred). Then a good friend of mine passed away and I forgot about everything and I moved out of state. I called the court and they sent me to the collector. I now owe $1260! I am preparing to pay it off, but I had something in the past like this, and when I paid in full they gave me a couple hundred dollars off. I asked the collector about this, and she said I can't do that because this is a "final judgement". Is this true?? I would really appreciate some advice before I pay that much money to a collection agency far away.

Default Re: Do I Have a Right to Negotiate with Collectors on a Ticket

If you are in Los Angeles or San Diego counties, and assuming the collection agency is GC Services then I can tell you that they will NOT negotiate. In fact, I can tell you that they will try to give you the impression that it is the end of the world for you unless you immediately ay the outstanding fine.

Whether they can or cannot negotate is a different story, however, I can tell you from personal experience that you might be able to contact the collection agency by physically appearing at the court where your citation was due and by requesting a court appearance before a judge who migh or might not reduce the fines that are pending against you.

I'm not sure if you can do that since you mentioned that you moved out of state. But that, in my opinion, would be your best bet.

You should also be aware that since you have an outstanding citation due in California, the California court (almost surely) has placed your driving privilege on hold in California. Meaning they have notified the California DMV of the "failure to pay" and as a result, the California DMV has suspended your driving privilege in this state.

As a result, and assuming you are currently living in a state who is a member in the Driver's License Compact, then there is a pretty good chance that your driving privilege in your home state is also suspended pending payment of the outstanding charges to the California Court.

A "driving on a suspended license" is a misdemeanor in California and it is a serious charge in other states. So I urge you to take care of this matter ASAP and I advise you not to drive unless you can confirm (with the DMV in your home state) that your driving privilege is NOT suspended.

1. Sponsored Links