Unhappy Summons to Court for Credit Card Debt

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Colorado

About five years ago I filed bankruptcy and all of my credit card debt was cleared.

I have since then acquired numerous other credit cards, approximately 7 or 8, and due to having lost my job and the inablility to find work again, my current credit card debt is in arrears by about six to nine months. For each notice the credit card company sent me, I sent a cordial reply explaining my situtation of being out of work and my inability to pay. The debt was then turned over to a collection agency and I did the same thing each time they contacted me, I sent a cordial reply explaining my situation. Finally the debt was sent to a lawyers office and I did the same thing each time the lawyers office contacted me. I have not been trying to hide from this debt, I have just been unable to pay it and the worse the economy gets the less it looks like I will be able to pay it. I own no home, have no money in the bank, drive a car that is on it's last leg and maybe worth $500, maybe. Prospects for work do not look good.

I currently have two court dates set for June for two different credit cards. I will appear at those court dates, but I would like to know what I can expect considering what my situation is? If I don't have a job for them to garnish wages from and I don't own any property for then to sell, then what will happen? Can they put me in jail? I've been on unemployment since the summer of 2008 and have received all of the extended and emergency unemployment funds that they can give me. I have about six weeks of unemployment left and then that's gone.

I'm scared and looking for some answers. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to me.

Default Re: Summons to Court for Credit Card Debt

If you have no defense to the debt, sooner or later you'll end up with judgments entered against you. You won't be put in jail for your inability to pay a debt - this nation does not have debtor's prisons.

Is not being able to find work considered a defense in this situation?

Quote Quoting jd2co
    View Post
    Is not being able to find work considered a defense in this situation?
    Not to sound harsh, but how would that be a defense? The court is looking at a very narrow matter which is determining if the alleged debt is valid.

If you owe the debt then the court will find for the credit card companies. They will probably bring you back to court for interrogatories or request you to fill out a form and file it with the court as an affadavit. The debt will accrue interest for up to 10 years and they can collect on it when the economy picks up and you get work. They generally will not compel the court to make you sell personal property but they can definitely get the information regarding what you own and make for a living legally.

Thank you for your responses.

1. Sponsored Links