Default Water Temperature in Condo - Health Violation

My question involves a condominium located in the State of: Connecticut

So I own a condo in the state of connecticut, currently throughout the week, expressly in the am and late pm (when other tenants in my particular building are probably using the shower as well - there are 3 other units in my building) the temperature never gets warm let alone hot. In addition in the middle of the day or on the weekends where the water isn't being used, it still only gets a little more than warm. It never gets to a point where it's nice and hot. Isn't this a health code violation? I'm paying for heat and hot water but i'm not getting any hot water. My girlfriend and I were thinking about adding a dishwasher but whats the point? The water never gets hot enough that it would actually clean the dishes.

We spoke with the super who claims he turned up the water heater...there hasn't been even a minute change in the temperature. We were thinking about sending a letter to the property manager but they are very tough to deal with. I was hoping to be able to present some sort of legal facts in the letter to sort of press the issue. I'm not the type who likes to be a jerk, far from it, but over a year with no hot water and no action on anybody's part to fix it has been quite frustrating.

Thanks for your time and thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Default Re: Water Temperature in Condo/Health Violation

Got a thermometer? What's the actual temperature of the water?

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Got a thermometer? What's the actual temperature of the water?
    Not currently, but if it will make the difference i'll pick one up to give you a better idea as to what i'm talking about.

I'll try to get a temperature when it's at it's warmest and the typical temperature.

Oh, and thank you for getting back to me.

Looking at Na-Mor, Inc. v. Espinosa, CV 186889, 1999 Conn. Super. LEXIS 1480 (1999), it doesn't look like the state law helps you much (at least in terms of a rent abatement) if the problem is the adequacy of the hot water supply as opposed to there not being any hot water at all. Your local government may have an ordinance that regulates temperature of water in rental units; I suggest checking with the department that oversees rental housing.

The landlord may be dealing with a Catch-22: Trying to keep water temperatures from being unsafe, while trying to provide hot water to a lot of units (perhaps with an aging water heater).

Have you asked the three other units if they have hot water and, if not, how have they dealt with it? I would start off by writing a letter to the landlord, not the super, and have all the tenants sign the letter if they feel the same as you do. Then post it. Don't give it to the super. I'm not sure if this will do any good because at times landlords like to turn a deaf ear on what they hear but perhaps the landlord isn't aware of the situation.

Default Re: Water Temperature in Condo - Health Violation

I still haven't gotten a chance to get a thermometer, it's been a busy week.

Mrknowitall, any idea what department might normally oversee the rental housing for ct? I was trying to find that, i know in nyc the department of health has a law against the temp being below a certain point so i assumed ct had the same thing, apparently I was wrong...but i DEFINITELY DEFINITELY DEFINITELY appreciate you getting me that information, i was looking for something similar for about a week before posting here.

@peppermint, that sounds like a plan as well. I talk with the person across the hall on a regular basis, however the people below us aren't our biggest fans. We've had a few spats due to noise levels at obscure hours. But I suppose if it means hot water, we can probably set aside our differences lol.

I appreciate all the help, and i'll keep u guys updated once i get the thermometer.

Default Re: Water Temperature in Condo - Health Violation

My suggestion would be for you to call city hall and either (a) ask the operator which department you should be speaking to, or (b) ask for the Mayor's office. Once connected, tell them of your problem. If they cannot help you ask them whom you should be speaking to.

1. Sponsored Links