Threaded View

Default Falsely Accused of Check Fraud from Elderly Man

My question involves defamation in the state of: Arizona

Hi I hope I'm in the right place. I want to contact a local lawyer but before I do I wanted to know a little bit more about what I was talking about.

My husband has done work for a man for several years now. Just odd jobs around the house, yard and pool. He's been grumpy over the years but nothing major.

On 4/16/09 he contacted my husband and asked him to come by his home. When my husband arrived the police were there waiting. This man is now 77 years old and has health issues and poor vision. He'd convinced himself that he hadn't written a total of 9 checks going back to last year and then accused my husband of writing them. He called the police and his bank to report this.

The police talked with both of them and looked at copies of checks the man had. My husband was able to show the police which work was completed and they even had him write this man's name in cursive to compare it to the man's. They let my husband go after the my husband reminded the man what they were for, the man admitted to the police he must have made a mistake.

I have a copy of this police report where this is stated. Last week 5/7/09, I was contacted by my bank that his bank has accused my husband of fraud and have refunded the funds to the other man. So now they are looking to get their money back from who they believe is responsible. I have had to close my account with my bank of 15 years because they were willing to give all my money to the other bank with no further investigations.

He was refunded the amount (around $8000.00) last week. And apparently he also submitted an affidavit to them last week.
    This may leave a mark on my record if they do not stop pursueing this.
    I've taken a copy of the police report to both banks in an attempt to show them this is ludicrous. They both tell me they are looking into it. But I'm still concerned.

I have had my life turned upside down because of this man. I can hardly eat, sleep or function as it's all I can think about. I've had to spend my lunch hours at banks and sheriff's department trying to get this all sorted out. He is currently in Mexico and I cannot get a hold of him to see why he hasn't contacted his bank to make all this stop.

Do I have any legal rights here?
    Falsely accused (with a police report to say otherwise)
    Mental, physcial and emotional stress

Any assistance you can give would be appreciated.

Thank you!

1. Sponsored Links