Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Petty Theft Misdemeanor in California

My question involves criminal law for the state of: California

Okay, I attempted to take some white t-shirts today (worth about $23) at a JCPenny and was detained right outside of the premises by Loss Prevention Officers. They took down my information, and a cop ended up coming by. I was cited and he released me and he explained to me that I'll end up having to pay over $900 to $1000.

I've definitely learned my lesson. I was shaking the whole time and while in the room, just tried to keep calm by having a conversation with the LPOs about how their system works (and they were nice enough to explain how everything works and it was a good lesson. -Also a warning to those who are thinking of shoplifting, CCTV has eyes like a hawk, their cameras can rotate and zoom and everything.)

Well, back to the topic, I've been reading through a lot of these threads, and I was wondering if it is possible if a public defender can lower my charge to an infraction instead of a misdemeanor. I am in no state to pay for any of these charges since I already have to pay for some $128 j-walking fine and I'm 18, I have no job, no income, and no parental support anymore. Life has been quite hard on me lately.

If I can at least get it down to an Infraction, at least I will be in a better chance to pay the fine.

Can you show me the step by step on how I can possibly lower my charge? My court date is on May 27th and I cannot afford an attorney. What do I do???

Once again.
    -18 years old
    -no money
    -stolen stuff ($23)
    -clean record
    -how to get misdemeanor lowered to infraction

Default Re: Petty Theft Misdemeanor in California

Go see a Criminal Defense Attorney - many offer 1/2 hour consultations for free.

This is what I was told (though I did eventually retain a lawyer).

- At your arraignment, your plea is "I stand mute".
    - They will check over your finances, and if you qualify, you will be given a Public Defender.
    - Note: Public Defenders are NOT always free. Check your local county court website, here it's $210.
    - Next up is Pre-Trial conference. Hopefully, the D.A. can get you into a Diversion program, or have the charge reduced. Then you plead guilty to the reduced charge. Yes, you have a Criminal Record.

Is there any other details possibly? Like is there a good chance I can get my charge reduced to an Infraction since it was under $50 worth of merchandise?

Quote Quoting msere
    View Post
    Is there any other details possibly? Like is there a good chance I can get my charge reduced to an Infraction since it was under $50 worth of merchandise?
    This is up to the individual courts.

Alrighty, thanks for your guys information. Any further input from others as well would be deeply and greatly appreciated.

okay explain me this?

You say the D.A. (District attorney correct?) can get me in a diversion program or reduce the charge? What is the diversion program? (anti-shoplifting course?) or reduce the charge? (Get it to an infraction[pc490.5]? - Since the amount of stolen goods was under $50)

So okay, on May 27th, I go to court, wait in line, when I go inside the courtroom, they'll read me my citation, "how do you plea?", then I say "I stand mute." then what will they say?

Can you give me a really good step by step on how this'll happen?

Okay, so I talked to Mr. Ruff (an attorney) and he explained to me that when I go to court, I just ask for the Western Corrections diversion and the case will be dismissed.

Dismissed as in, no record, no nothing? Explain please?

Unhappy Re: Petty Theft Misdemeanor in California

Quote Quoting PandorasBox
    View Post
    Go see a Criminal Defense Attorney - many offer 1/2 hour consultations for free.

This is what I was told (though I did eventually retain a lawyer).

- At your arraignment, your plea is "I stand mute".
    - They will check over your finances, and if you qualify, you will be given a Public Defender.
    - Note: Public Defenders are NOT always free. Check your local county court website, here it's $210.
    - Next up is Pre-Trial conference. Hopefully, the D.A. can get you into a Diversion program, or have the charge reduced. Then you plead guilty to the reduced charge. Yes, you have a Criminal Record.

Pandora, so your saying that even if they reduced the charge to an Infraction, it'd still be counted for a criminal record? So I'd have to put Yes for any job applications??

By the way, court date is on the 27th of this month.
    So I say, "I stand mute."
    What if I do not qualify for an attorney? I know darn well I won't.

Quote Quoting msere
    View Post
    Okay, so I talked to Mr. Ruff (an attorney) and he explained to me that when I go to court, I just ask for the Western Corrections diversion and the case will be dismissed.

Dismissed as in, no record, no nothing? Explain please?
    *note, answering on behalf of looking at other people's story and some online research*

i believe dismissed wil leave something on your record, id say court dismissed.

Quote Quoting xieandy
    View Post
    *note, answering on behalf of looking at other people's story and some online research*

i believe dismissed wil leave something on your record, id say court dismissed.
    Well my dad is going to help me get a Private Attorney since the Public Defender is already advising me to plead guilty at the FIRST arraignment...

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast