Default 1 Month in a Hotel Room, Should I Be Getting More

I work for a company as a certified trainer for our franchise division. I am away from home for 1 month at a time staying in a hotel that is company paid. I am on salary at $800 a week working between 60 and 70 hrs a week. The company pays for Hotels, and we get a $15 per diem for dinner (continental breakfast at hotel, and we work with food, so we eat lunch for free. Where we are is about 2 hours from home, and we get one $30 gas reimbursement for the whole trip. I have a feeling I am missing out on something. I talked to someone that works for a company that pays for him to go home once a week, and he gets $100 per diem, plus a huge salary. I feel like they should be paying for us to go home every week (gas) and our per diem should be higher. am I missing anything? any input or knowledge is greatly appreciated! thanks!!!

Also, soon we will be opening stores that will require air travel. Does that change anything? are they required to fly us home at all during our stay?

I have never signed a contract or anything like that, don't know if anyone would need to know that.
    Thanks again!

Our franchise company is based out of NH, so regardless of where I am, I get paid like I am in NH.

Default Re: 1 Month in a Hotel Room, Should I Be Getting More

There is no standard for reimbursement of work related expenses. Every company handles this differently.

Your per diem is stingy and your gas reimbursement is insufficient, so save your receipts and keep a mileage log. At the end of the year, claim your actual receipts and your mileage calculated by the IRS standard - minus what you were paid for your per diem and gas allowance - as unreimbursed company expenses. It will lop a tidy bit off your tax obligations.

Also, soon we will be opening stores that will require air travel. Does that change anything? are they required to fly us home at all during our stay?
    No. If a substantial part of your job duties requires that you be away from home for a month for some task or other, then you have to be away from home, and your employer is not required to send you back and forth at their expense every week.

I'm not unsympathetic to your situation. My husband is a retail district manager, and he's really never home. He drives about 700 miles a week, is often stuck overnighting somewhere at the last minute, and sometimes gets sent away for 3 or 4 weeks at a time to open a new store or train a new team. One year, he was gone the entire month of our wedding anniversary, and no, they did not fly him home at all during that month.

His company, though, is a bit more sensible with expenses, paying the IRS standard rate mileage, and reimbursing for all reasonable food expenses except alcohol.

You might consider asking your HR department why they don't reimburse mileage at the IRS standard rate, but keep in mind that they're not required to do so.

1. Sponsored Links