Default Am I Barred from the States Forever

Hi Experts

I was hoping that I could get some advice please.

I would like to visit New York for a week or so, so I went for a Visa interview here in London a couple of days ago and got refused because of a very serious crime that I committed when I was 17 (nearly 20 years ago).

I also noticed that the form I was given explaining why I was refused a Visa mentioned that I was not recommended for a waiver of ineligibility and that I have been permanently excluded, although I may apply again in the future but that there will not necessarily be a different outcome.

That last bit confused me so my question is am I really looking at being refused a Visa for the States for the rest of my life or could I re-apply after a year or so? And if I do go for another Visa interview is there anything I could try to do to re-assure the interview that I am no longer a threat?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Am I Barred from the States for Ever

Depends on what your charge/crime was that occurred 20 years ago.

My conviction is for conspiracy to murder. I know that this sounds pretty grim, but I was 17 at the time and the circumstances were extraordinary (in my opinion at least). Plus I have been a good lad since then.

I do take responsibility though but really am a bit sad that something I did when I was a stupid youth will continue to restrict me in doing normal stuff.

I guess I am permanently barred, right?

See this and try to appeal and discuess with US immigration law attorney. If were under 18 when you were convicted there is a exception for that.

(2) Criminal and related grounds.-

(A) Conviction of certain crimes.-

(i) In general.-Except as provided in clause (ii), any alien convicted of, or who admits having committed, or who admits committing acts which constitute the essential elements of-

(I) a crime involving moral turpitude (other than a purely political offense or an attempt or conspiracy to commit such a crime),

(ii) Exception.-Clause (i)(I) shall not apply to an alien who committed only one crime if-

(I) the crime was committed when the alien was under 18 years of age, and the crime was committed (and the alien released from any confinement to a prison or correctional institution imposed for the crime) more than 5 years before the date of application for a visa or other documentation and the date of application for admission to the United States,

Good Luck

1. Sponsored Links