Default Early Termination of Lease - Landlord Issue at Previous Residence

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Ohio

There was a heater problem at a managed property which was causing health and other issues. After several failed attempts at resolving the issue, I was offered the option to move into another managed location. In doing so, I was forced to sign a 6 month or 9 month lease which because of the construction of my home being completed in the 7th month, would have put me either 1 month too early or 3 months too late. I asked if I could sign a lease for 7 months and was told no. The completion of my home was completed on schedule. I had to terminate my lease early but that already have a resident set to move in in June. I am currently paid in full through May but am now being told that I am responsible for May's rent and an early termination fee of $150.00, which I do not feel as if I should be held responsible as I was forced into the agreement because of their lack of upholding their side of the agreement at the other managed location. I spoke with a representative at the managing company and was told that I would be held responsible for the remainder of the lease. Can you please let me know what I can do to resolve this issue with the managing company and not be held responsible for May's rent and the early termination fee?

Default Re: Early Termination of Lease - Landlord Issue at Previous Residence

Legally you owe for May and the termination fee. Failure to pay will land you in court. Telling the judge that they "forced" you to sign the lease will give him/her a good chuckle.

1. Sponsored Links