Default Effect of a Possible Arrest Record on Joining the Military

I am considering joining the Army through a special program for healthcare professionals who are older in age. I am 47 and have been a good citizen, went to college, worked my whole life without incident and without any problems with the law except about 3 years ago I was arrested for a harassment charge made falsely by a member of my wife's family. The judge threw it out of court but I don't know the exact terminology of the disposition or what the court records show. I wasn't physically arrested, but voluntarily went down to the police department for the arrest when I got a letter notifying me of the charge. They photographed me and fingerprinted, then let me go...then it was thrown out by the judge in court. I had hired an attorney to help me. I guess the charges were dropped but I went through the whole picture taking and fingerprinting.

Anyway, can this affect getting me getting into the military? If so, what is the best thing to do to with the recruiter at this point? Should I do some sort of background check on myself to see what shows up? I just want to head off any potential issue with this in affecting my ability to join.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Default Re: Possible Arrest Record-Joining the Military

Shouldn't be a problem they will give you a criminal history waiver.

Here's an example of things that can be waived

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...N_f7nvNw1mQJdg

(search term: criminal history waiver, +recruiter)
    The term "may not apply" means you may not apply to the (in the case) coast guard

You should really look at your court paper work. To find out the disposition of your case. Did the other party drop the charges, Did the Judge not see enough evidence to support the charges, Did the prosecutor not have witnesses to support the charges, was your defense lawyer that good and got the case thrown out of court. Was the case thrown out of court with or with out prejudice. This is something you should know.

As for getting in the military, just talk to your recuriter about this. Most likely being you were not convicted. No waiver will be needed.

Thanks for your input folks. I really appreciate it. I've been stressing about this cause this could be the only thing I can think of that would inhibit me from serving my Country in the military....of course I still need to go through the physical...ugggg.

By the way, I sent a letter off to the attorney that represented me to request that he provide me documentation of the disposition of this. I can have this ready then if I need it.

Thanks again.

Update:
    Well, I finally received information regarding this incident from my attorney and it turns out that the type of case that was filed against me was called: Protection from Abuse Type Trial: Non-Jury Track. As I mentioned a member of my wife's family filed a false report in an effort to hurt my wife and I. My father-in-law was living with us and we were caring for him. He had a stroke many years ago and he was very difficult to care for. Least to say that he had alot of emotional issues. He was in many respects he was like a child and would get very violent and angry. We would many times have to stop him from hurting himself. After a disagreement with my wife and I, an interferring family member took him down to the court to assist him in filing this report against me. Anyway, as I mentioned the case was dismissed. Quoting the court disposition document the judge wrote "After hearing testimony, petition is denied, parties to avoid each other as much as possible."
    Back to the present; I have passed the Army physical and the recruiter is currently entering my information in for submission and evaluation for a decision of acceptance. The recruiter had some concern about this incident, so she submitted a Police Record Check, even though I gave her the signed final disposition document from the Judge. Everything else looks positive for acceptance and I guess it's a hurry up and wait for the decision now. From what I describe, can anyone tell me if this issue could cause me not to be accepted into the Army? I was not convicted of anything, but I guess it may show an arrest on my record. Also, I have never been in trouble with the police in my entire life, other than this report being filed against me by my father-in-law over 3 years ago.

1. Sponsored Links