Default Shoplifting and a background polygraph test

Approximately 8 months ago I submitted to a polygraph examination as an applicant for a government job. During the course of the exam (not wanting to lie), I admitted to having taken some small items totaling approx. $20-$40 from my high school retail job under pressure from friends/coworkers. Since then, I have been worried that this agency could possibly report my admission to local police and that I could be prosecuted.
    1. I would have been a minor at time of crime; am 23 now. This would have been 5-7 years ago.
    2. Former employer never brought anything to my attention, we parted on good terms.
    3. No store cameras or LP. This was a small store in a "strip mall."
    4. Crime in California. I now live in another state.
    5. During exam, I admitted to the theft, but no details, eg exactly what was taken, or any dates/times (couldn't remember anyway).

Questions:
    1. Could I actually be prosecuted for this? How?
    2. Will I know if the local police in CA become involved and issue a warrant or something?

This was a long time ago and has bothered me ever since (obviously, if I felt guilty enough to admit it years later)...I now work for another gov't agency and volunteer in my community. Can this come back to haunt me?

Thanks for replies.

While I can't promise a 0% chance, it isn't realistic that you would be prosecuted for those offenses, given the circumstances and passage of time.

IF that were the case, I know of a store owner that might want me for a few cokes and candy bars back in 1961. You'll most likely get the job, you were honest and came clean.

I'd really like to know what kind of gov. job makes you take a polygraph examination before they hire you.

1. Sponsored Links