Hybrid View

Question Standard of Care in an ER for a Child

Hello

What is the standard of care in an ER for a 12 year old child who is having trouble breathing, a severe sore throat ,a hoarse voice and some trouble swallowing ?? What exactly should the attending doctor have done for the child??

Thanks

Default Re: Standard of Care in an Er for a Child

Quote Quoting loulou22
    View Post
    Hello

What is the standard of care in an ER for a 12 year old child who is having trouble breathing, a severe sore throat ,a hoarse voice and some trouble swallowing ?? What exactly should the attending doctor have done for the child??

Thanks

We were not there to examine your child, so it would not be appropriate for us to speculate his/her treatment.

Some additional information may be helpful. Did s/he have a fever? Were his/her symptoms caused by an allergic reaction? How long did s/he have those symptoms before seeking treatment? Had s/he seen their PCP before the ER and, if so, were they already being treated with medication?

Woke up on Sunday morning with a sore throat,no fever, no headache, no wheeze, just a sore throat.....then it seemed to suddenly get worse and he complained it hurt to swallow and he started to breath strange and he was hoarse. He was only given Childrens tylenol and hydrated through out the day and took him to the ER and they sent him home aftert 2 hours , they did a quick strep came back neg and he had a fever and gave him motrin and said to follow up midweek with our pediatrician that it was pharyngitis, well he collapsed 6 hours later and passed away a day later . No known allergies an otherwise healthy up until that sunday night.

I am so very sorry for your loss.

From what you stated, I feel it would be reasonable to speak with a med/mal attorney. S/he will obtain your son's medical record and have an expert review it.

Along with the rapid strep test, was a throat culture obtained and sent out?
    What was the final diagnosis?

Again, I am sorry for your loss.

Default Re: Standard of Care in an ER for a Child

The only test done was a quick strep , no cultures, no bloodwork, no xrays and I kept asking the Dr. why no more tests and he said it was pharyngitis and he was hyperventilating because he was panicky and i disagreed with him , my son is not an anxious child he was having trouble breathing, the Dr. reasured me it was nothing..........................

Default Re: Standard of Care in an ER for a Child

It is usual, and recommended, to obtain a throat culture to confirm a negative quick strep.

If he was having trouble breathing and the Physician examining him heard a stridor (like a high pitched sound while breathing), he could have pbtained blood cultures, called in an ENT, or scoped him to rule out epiglottitis. If he did have epiglottitis, the symptoms could have developed and increased very rapidly, even within a few hours.

Hope this information is helpful.

1. Sponsored Links