Default Sex Crimes

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Illinois

When I was about 9 and my brother was about 4, my mom realized that she couldn't bathe us together anymore because we started noticing that we were "different." This happened 24 years ago. My brother has two kids that he experienced the same thing happening with them, he asked my mom and she told him that it is only natural innocent child curiosity but obviously don't let them take baths together anymore. Well, my brother has recently become severely addicted to drugs and lost custody of his kids, has no job, and no money. He is threatening to sue me and the rest of my family for what happened 24 years ago. I had forgotten about this until my mom had mentioned it, but now I am worried. I have never committed a crime of any sort and I don't know how to handle this. Am I a criminal? Please help.

Default Re: Sex Crimes

It's gonna be hard to prove anything and the statue of limitations probably ran out on any possabile crime.

Seriously on what does he have to go from? Unless there is more to the situation then we know about.

Quote Quoting Bean1cat
    View Post
    Seriously on what does he have to go from? Unless there is more to the situation then we know about.

More then lack of proof i see lack of crime.

If this happened only a couple of times while you were 9 and 4, this is not likely to be an issue as the requisite intent to commit a crime would be very difficult to prove. However, if the acts continued for a few years, there could be a case against you and your mom. If mom knew about this activity and allowed it to continue she might be liable ... a lot depends on what she knew as well as the relevant civil statute of limitations for such matters in your state.

If he's unemployed and on drugs it is doubtful he is going to have the money to pay an attorney to sue anyone.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Thank you for all of your feedback. Just to be safe I tried looking up what the statute of limitations is for this in Illinois and I am having a hard time making sense of it all. Can someone explain it? I am not too good deciphering what all of it means to me.

between here and there, but you can't here from there

No attorney in his right mind would touch this. Kids of opposite sex frequently bathe together until the differences are realized, then they are seperated. Its normal. Add to that the time passed and SOL, and I can see nothing to go on. To top it all off, he's using drugs??? No worries. Even the best and brightest wouldn't touch this one.

He's got problems and is looking for someone to blame and there you are. Forget it again and for all time.
    You get more with a kind word and a gun than a kind word alone

Quote Quoting zedex
    View Post
    No attorney in his right mind would touch this. Kids of opposite sex frequently bathe together until the differences are realized, then they are seperated. Its normal. Add to that the time passed and SOL, and I can see nothing to go on. To top it all off, he's using drugs??? No worries. Even the best and brightest wouldn't touch this one.

He's got problems and is looking for someone to blame and there you are. Forget it again and for all time.

I'm not satisfied what am I missing? I don't understand where criminal action, mens rea or not has occurred or even hinted at.

I think you are fine. There is lack of proof, lack of crime everything. Seriously, the guy has a problem with his head. Since it was so long ago a lawyer will not take this case. Plus this would be a juv case and good luck with finding a lawyer that will take it since it happened so long ago. I used to take baths when I was younger with my cousin and it was a boy, our parents did not mean anything by it, people are just sue happy anymore and it does not matter family or not. Which is sad.

1. Sponsored Links