Default Terminating the Parental Rights of Biological Father

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Ohio

This is for my fiancée. I was wondering my odds of terminating the parental rights of biological father. I will be hiring a lawyer, but wanted to see what you all thought here.

My fiancée is the mother of a 5 year old girl from a previous relationship. The biological father failed to show up to the first custody hear 5 years ago. So the courts declare my fiancée and her mom share custody of her daughter.

We just had are first child together, and I was plan on adopt her daughter after we got married in 2010. However all the sudden the biological father as reappeared, and has filed for visitation. My fiancée doesn’t want her daughter to see the biological father as she as alone know me as her father. I have support them both for two years.Where the biological father as only made 13 child support payment in 5 years, and as never once visited.

Under Ohio law; Failure of Reasonable Efforts, Failure to Maintain Contact, Failure to Provide Support, Child's Best Interest can be grounds for terminating of parental rights

I guess my question is want do you think are chances are and do you have any advice?

Default Re: Terminating the Parental Rights of Biological Father

We can't offer you any advice on her "chances" - we're not talking about the lottery and statistical odds here, but individual cases involving human beings.

BUT - if your fiancee gets an attorney to help her out and can show that he's been out of the picture and that it's in the best interests of the child for his rights to be terminated? She should have a decent shot.

Courts are loathe to terminate someone's parental rights if there isn't someone standing by to take them over, though. You might consider bumping up that wedding.

1. Sponsored Links