Default Underage Repeated Prank Calls

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Oregon.
    About two months ago, my friend and I, both 15, prank called a bed and breakfast owner about forty miles away using my cell and *67. We called many times. We gave the number to other people at the high school, and the owner easily recieved more than 100 calls.
    We ordered him a pizza. About three weeks ago, he threatened to involve the police. We didn't believe it and called about three more times over the next week, we started hearing beeps at the beginning of the calls, so we stopped completely.
    Just this morning I got a call from the owner's local police station on my cell. They know my name, address, home and cell number. They know my dad's number. My mother is deaf. They know about the pizza, and the numerous phone calls. I'm the only person in my group that was called.
    They asked why I did it, and if I was aware that it is illegal to do it. In a panic, I said I didn't know about it, and that it was probably my friends who borrow my phone often. He said it's still my phone, and I am responsible.
    The police want me to have my father call them, who was not in at the moment. I called the police back a few hours ago, and the officer in charge of this case was off duty. I left a very calm voicemail.
    I do not know whether to leave my friends out of it, or bring them in.
    I don't know what to do, period...
    My friends and I are going to talk about this as a group tomorrow, but time is constantly running out.
    Help is most appreciated.

Default Re: Underage Repeated Prank Calls

It's time to talk to your parents. It's also time to stop lying to the police - you're digging yourself in deeper. Don't talk to the police again before talking to your parents, and if you do talk to the police again (opting not to exercise your right to remain silent, something you should have considered before you started lying) you should plan to tell the truth.

What's the most that could happen to me?

Hopefully what will happen is your dad will take your phone and ground you for a month. Your 15. Come on... That is stuff you do when our 12. You know right from wrong 100%. Just be honest and prank call your friends if you are that bored.

What's the most that could happen to me?
    Fines and jail:

166.090. Telephonic harassment. 1987. Amended 1999.

(1) A telephone caller commits the crime of telephonic harassment if the caller intentionally harasses or annoys another person: (a) By causing the telephone of the other person to ring, such caller having no communicative purpose; or (b) By causing such other person's telephone to ring, knowing that the caller has been forbidden from so doing by a person exercising lawful authority over the receiving telephone. (2) Telephonic harassment is a Class B misdemeanor.
    In the state of Oregon, a Class B misdemeanor is punishable by up to six months in jail and up to $2500 in fines.

The kicker?

That's for each count of telephonic harassment you're convicted of.

You know what Mr. K said about talking to your parents? You'd better go do that.

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    Fines and jail:

In the state of Oregon, a Class B misdemeanor is punishable by up to six months in jail and up to $2500 in fines.
    Even if I'm only 15?

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Just because you block the caller id from the other end does not mean the cell phone company and the other telephone company aren't recording it. Don't you watch any police shows?

And your life is so insignificant and boring that you have to make prank calls. Prank calls to a B&B? Let me guess, it is a gay/lesbian B&B. Or did you stay there and really disliked the service? Just how stupid are you?

You need to sit down with you parents. They better hear it from you before they hear it from the police.

Your parents would be responsible for any fine. They could also be sued. If this was antigay harassment, they could get sued for some big bucks.

You could be sent to a secure facility.

You and your parents need an attorney.

You really need to grow up, like right now.

1. Sponsored Links